Question MSI GTX 1070 "Gaming X" Idle power consumption: is 10-14 watts normal?

Jan 23, 2023
Hi all, I read it should consume only 6-7 watt in idle, on the desktop and for internet browsing.

Yesterday i realised with Hwinfo that it was using 40W in idle. I had the Performance mode in nvidia control panel selected. I set it to "optimal", and it is better (after the reboot) but still fluctuating from 10 to 14 watts.

Do you think it is ok? I have the latest drivers.

I have to say that it's the MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X. At the time it was one of the most powerful around. So maybe the 6-7 watts I read about refers only to the base 1070 ?
Or what should I check ?

Many thanks for your views/inputs

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023
Thanks, I'm not worried. It's just that with the prices of electricity, gas and fuel skyrocketing in Italy, and with my girlfriend and her daughter from Ukraine living with me, every saved watt counts :) but i don't think i can go below that anyway, i was just looking for feedback if anyone has the same exact card maybe

Jan 23, 2023
They told me it might depend on the mode I am using:

"modes are:
Silent (that should be 7-10W as its at the base clock 1506 MHz / 1607 MHz Boost)
Gaming (will be usually 10-14W as its overclocked base clock 1582 MHz / 1771 MHz Boost) <-- Guessing its in this mode
OC (will be around 12-16W as its overclocked base clock 1607 MHz / 1797 MHz Boost)"

I checked, Core clock is 1582, memory is 4006 (2003x2), so probably it's gaming mode, and 10-14 watt is right then. But i don't even know how i can change the mode. Anyway when i need more power i have an overclock profile in MSI afterburner (core +84 mem +641) so i guess i wouldn't need the OC mode.

Anyway, if anyone knows how to change mode please let me know :)

They told me it might depend on the mode I am using:

"modes are:
Silent (that should be 7-10W as its at the base clock 1506 MHz / 1607 MHz Boost)
Gaming (will be usually 10-14W as its overclocked base clock 1582 MHz / 1771 MHz Boost) <-- Guessing its in this mode
OC (will be around 12-16W as its overclocked base clock 1607 MHz / 1797 MHz Boost)"

I checked, Core clock is 1582, memory is 4006 (2003x2), so probably it's gaming mode, and 10-14 watt is right then. But i don't even know how i can change the mode. Anyway when i need more power i have an overclock profile in MSI afterburner (core +84 mem +641) so i guess i wouldn't need the OC mode.

Anyway, if anyone knows how to change mode please let me know :)
gaming x doesnt have multiple bioses to switch between them
suprim have those

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Honestly, seven watts is about one kWh per week if the difference is manifested over 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If these amounts of electricity are a big deal, presumably you're already turning your PC off when you're not using it, which would make the savings from a GPU idling at 14W instead of 7W even smaller. At eight hours a day of PC use, we're not even talking a whole euro of difference even at Italy's average price, so I'm not sure this is really worth fretting over.

Reactions: savior99
Jan 23, 2023
Honestly, seven watts is about one kWh per week if the difference is manifested over 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If these amounts of electricity are a big deal, presumably you're already turning your PC off when you're not using it, which would make the savings from a GPU idling at 14W instead of 7W even smaller. At eight hours a day of PC use, we're not even talking a whole euro of difference even at Italy's average price, so I'm not sure this is really worth fretting over.
I use it maybe 2-3 hours per day during the week, but i can use it even 8 hours during the weekend. But most of the time I play, so the idle consumption doesn't count :)

Anyway if i were on idle for that time, how much do you think would be the increased cost per month more or less ?

Probably is negligible anyway, nothing really urgent to solve :) Especially considering that before I upgraded the PC, for many years i think i left the Nvidia control panel on "maximum performance" so it was using 40-45 watt on idle lol

Jan 23, 2023
its around 160-170eur/usd per 1mWh, my pc doesnt turns off, just sleeping...but its mostly running, some cooking, washing, tv and what not and im around 1.5MWh /yr howering around 150~200watts per hour 24/7/365
So how much do you think would be the increased cost for let's say 10 hours a week, 40 hours a month in idle (+7W) ?