MSI GTX 1070 not being recognized by motherboard

Cmpukahi

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
Hi everyone. I'm new to building a PC and I have run into an issue with my graphics card. I have the new MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X and for some reason the BIOS and Windows won't detect the GPU. In the motherboard explorer tab in the BIOS, the slot is listed as empty. The computer boots just fine using the integrated graphics card on the motherboard. What's confusing is the lights on the graphics card turn on when the computer boots and still doesn't show up in the BIOS or Windows. I have read some troubleshooting threads that say to test the card in another slot to determine whether or not it's a card or motherboard problem. Since I only have one PCIe 3.0 x 16 slot, is it possible to test in a 3.0 x 1 slot? Or will that cause problems?

PC Specs:

Intel i5 6600k
MSI Z170A M3 Motherboard
Corsair DDR4 8x2 GB RAM
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X

So far, I've made sure that everything is hooked up properly to the PSU. I have tried multiple display ports on the graphics card such as the HDMI and DVI ports, but if the motherboard isn't recognizing the card then I don't see how it would work anyway. I have also tried reseating the GPU, but that did not work either.

Here are some pictures of my computer http://imgur.com/a/PK2fH

Should I be concerned that the graphics card is dead on arrival? I can't figure out which part is the problem. If I can narrow it down to that it will be much easier to replace. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution

your motherboard has another PCIe slot, try the other one out to see if it displays anything.

Cmpukahi

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

I just tried loading the default settings. Not sure where I can set the GPU option to PCIe. Here is the option that I can see under graphics. I think I read somewhere that MSI boards will switch to GPU display if detected. It doesn't seem to be detected at all under the motherboard explorer page.

http://imgur.com/1P3ioYN

Cmpukahi

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

Yes, I am currently using the iGPU to view the BIOS and Windows. The drop down menu has two items, PEG and IGD. PEG is the current default

Cmpukahi

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

Ah I see. I still haven't found an option to enable PCI-E or configure anything related to switching to PCI-E.

frank_hnd

Honorable

your motherboard has another PCIe slot, try the other one out to see if it displays anything.

Solution

Cmpukahi

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

The other PCIe slot is a 3.0 x4 is it okay to plug a 3.0 x16 into that slot?

frank_hnd

Honorable

yeah, you will have less bandwidth so the card won't perform 100%.

we are doing this for testing purposes to determine the culprit.

Cmpukahi

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

Alright, I'll give this a try tomorrow. I was trying to see if this was possible, but could never find a definitive answer and I was too scared to mess something up. I'll report back with the results. Hopefully this gives us a better insight.

Also, thanks for all your help so far.

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

PEG - PCI Express Graphics
IGD - Integrated Graphics Device

So PEG is correct.

Cmpukahi

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

Okay so the graphics card works just fine in the 3.0 x4 slot. Drivers updated fine and games are running smoothly. Is it safe to assume that the 3.0 x16 slot is broken?

frank_hnd

Honorable

possibly, you can try plugging it again on that slot and if it doesn't work then you have your answer. faulty motherboard.

Cmpukahi

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

Will do, thanks for the help.