MSI GTX 1070TI Gaming temperatures

jerbae

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
Since I've had this card, I've always worried about the temperatures. In reviews and benchmarks, the Twin Frozr design is lauded for keeping the card < 70 °C under stress, but I often find that during gaming, I can reach the upper 70's. (78-79 during Battlefront 2 at 144 fps).

I probably don't have the absolute best case (rather small, see thread http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3693470/tips-improve-airflow.html), but I wonder whether or not the impact in temperatures can be totally explained by that.

Even by setting a more aggressive fan curve, I can only keep the temps in the lower 70's under load, with the card sounding like a jet engine taking off.

Any thoughts? Think my card is broken / sub-optimal, or am I just worrying to much?

Thanks!

rudrashukla68

Prominent
Mar 26, 2018
Heavy gaming might take the card to the 70s in temperature but above 75 should be considered improper.....have a look at the fans and see if there's any dust on the fans; that might be generating hear.... moreover if your ambient temperature is around 30°C these temps should be considered normal.

jerbae

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
Fans are clean, and my ambient temperature is not that high.

Mind you: Furmark only takes it up to 75, it's sitting in SWBF2 main menu that can take it up to 80.

rudrashukla68

Prominent
Mar 26, 2018
I recommend using better airflow...if you already have one...rarest possibility is the fault of card. How old is it ? Try replacing the thermal paste if you know.