Question MSI GTX 1080 Aero - Please Power Down and Connect PCIe Power Cable(s) For This Graphics Card

vouqez

Commendable
Aug 24, 2018
I recently purchased a GTX 1080 Aero however whenever plugged into a system it reads 'PLEASE POWER DOWN AND CONNECT THE PCIe POWER CABLE(s) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD' on the screen. I have tried multiple power supplies and 2 motherboard but the issue is persistent. I have also noted the GPU 6 pin power which seems rather odd. All other cards I look at seem to be 8pin at least.

vouqez

Commendable
Aug 24, 2018
Something is wrong then.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-AERO-8G/Gallery#lg=1&slide=3

MSI's picture suggests, as do you, it should be 8-pin. Can you use a hardware monitor to see what GPU it thinks it is? Worst case scenario is there has been foul play.

Do you think I could have been sent a card that has been swapped out?

I have attached a photo of the card in my system when unplugged.

20190503_181100.jpg

vouqez

Commendable
Aug 24, 2018
What all POWER SUPPLIES did you try ? List the model number/brand. Any decent high quality PSU must have at least TWO 6+2-PIN PCI-e connectors. Your GPU requires a SINGLE 8-PIN, so you have to use one 6+2-PIN cable.

You need to plug one 6+2-pin pci-e cable to the GPU to power it up.

I used a Corsair VS550 and a Truepower Trio 550, both which have the necessary PCIe connectors.

vouqez

Commendable
Aug 24, 2018
Reactions: Metal Messiah.
I just took it apart and the chip itself reads, GM204-400-A1. This seems to be the chip for a GTX980

Well, that's HUGE bummer then. From where did you BUY this card ? Was it used or brand NEW ? It looks like someone slapped a GTX 980 instead of 1080, inside the video card's box. That chip is indeed the GTX 980.

From which shop, or marketplace did you actually purchase this card ?

vouqez

Commendable
Aug 24, 2018
Well, that's HUGE bummer then. From where did you BUY this card ? Was it used or brand NEW ? It looks like someone slapped a GTX 980 instead of 1080, inside the video card's box. That chip is indeed the GTX 980.

From which shop, or marketplace did you actually purchase this card ?

I purchased it used from a Computer shop online, this shop generally has very good feedback but it seems this one slipped through the cracks. They have already accepted the return so all should be okay.
I looked at the power connectors on the PCB and it clearly shows that the other 8pin had a tacky de-soldering job done to it, perhaps to try and get the card to fit with the casing.

vouqez

Commendable
Aug 24, 2018
Okay, that's fine then. Glad to hear that. Btw, what do you mean by "the other 8pin" ? How many connectors does this card have ? From that PIC which you have posted, it only shows a single 6-PIN.
It looks to have the 8pin connector removed via a very janky solder job, they probably removed the 8pin to to get it to fit in the casing.