MSI GTX 1080 DUKE overclocking

xynyx

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Finally got brave enough to start overclocking my components and found a few really useful videos on Youtube. Most of the videos showed the ability to increase the power limit to 120% but my card only goes to 104%. Read a few things that said this may be due to being factory locked, or that it was already overclocked to some degree by MSI. Any truth to this? If it is locked any way to unlock it?

After playing around for a while the max settings I was able to get was 104% power limit, 80 core clock and 110 memory clock (GPU never got above 70C). Most of the youtube videos I watched showed people were getting 200 on the core clock and 500 on the memory clock. Are my setting typical of what you can get out of the Duke? My base GPU clock maxes around 1974 at base and with the above OC settings I got it up to 2075.

Thanks,
JC

the thing is that every card is different. and some card versions and models will OC better than others. the silicon lottery is always at work. basically, you can keep pushing your clocks untill you start to see some sort of instability and the back it down a bit. it's mu ch more complicated but in simple terms that's pretty much it.