Question MSI GTX 1660Ti gaming X temperature high?

zakitc

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
Hi, I recently bought MSI GTX 1660 Ti gaming X 6GB, going from MSI 960 Gaming 2GB. While gaming - t goes way higher than on 960. I don't know much about how new cards operate - just going from assumption than newer means better - that would include temperature. So - while playing Astroneer it goes as high as 76 degrees Celsius. Idle is 45, 50 Celsius. Is that normal, or not normal? I have found one review which states load temperature 64 degrees Celsius for this particular card. So is it safe? or if not what can I do? I have Zalman Z9 Plus case with 6 case fans, with 2 front intake, and all others blowing air out...

Thank you for help...

Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) is 95 based on nvidia site. So 76 under gaming is totally fine. If you want a bit better temps you can change the stock fan curve. 45-50C idle is also fine because the card fans stop spinning when the gpu have a low usage. Always what you see on the internet may different it is possible he is running the fan at 100% or have a better case with better airflow even if you have all fans installed if your front gap is small then the airflow will be bad.

Reactions: zakitc

GeForce1012

Honorable
Sep 14, 2014
Hey Zatic,

The new 16 series (although there have been implementations of it in older gens) have a boost setting in which if the gpu is under a certain temp then it will boost the clock to get better performance. NVIDIA as Stefanos said has now said operating temps of under 95 is healthy now allows the cards to constantly be on boost which means a constant higher temp to the old 960 series.

Hope that helps

Reactions: zakitc

zakitc

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
Thank you guys for help. I used Stefanos advice and switched on user settings on Afterburner, I didn't even change the curve which was there already, but that keeps temps down by 10 degrees, so I am absolutely happy now :)