MSI GTX 670 Power Edition OR ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP

meth0dman

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
like the title says i'm just looking for oppinions, maybe personal experience with these cards? I know they are very simular overall, maybe the asus is like 1-2% better which doesn't really seal the deal for me. I was also looking at the ZOTAC 670 AMP! which performs slightly better than the two mentioned, but the noise of it put me off. so, what do you guys think? which will serve me best next 3-5 years ( hopefully ) ?

slash86

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2012
iam looking to buy the asus gtx 670 direct ii top thanks to bigcyo1 advice however i cant find anywhere in the uk that has them in stock. if you find any let me know and i will do the same.

Scorpionking20

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Avoid the Top like the plague. I got the regular Asus 670 DC2, and it's GREAT. It comes stock clocked, but overclocks like a champ, and is SO quiet. I've gotten mine clocked up to 1258 with Boost, stable. It might go higher, but I haven't tried. It stays under 70c with my custom fan profile, and is great because even @ 100% the fan is very quiet...under %80, and I can't hear it. The top card is plagued with all sorts of issues, but physically they are the same card. Just avoid the top

meth0dman

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
bigcyco:
I am tempted by the TOP, problem is the store i'm looking to buy from are (surprise, surprise!) out of stock. they are expecting a new batch at the end of NEXT month... and that isn't even confirmed yet. I might just end up waiting in vain, in fact I probably will... ugh :fou: , who knows? on the other hand the power edition is in stock right now. small dilemma! I am contemplating to wait a month, hopefully it will go on sale in the meantime. if it does I will be ready to strike! I think that is what I will do..

scorpionking2:
I have read about it, but i'm pretty sure that only affected the early productions. but I would like to hear about reliability or defects from people who own a 670 themselves.

Scorpionking20

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
My exact point...I don't think a new batch of tops came out since the originals were so glitchy. But the DC2 I have oc'ed the same as a top would, and the fan option is rad...plus the backplate is very nice. I've owned MSI twn frzrs too, and I like them both, but the Asus is just great when it comes to sound.

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
There is such a small difference in performance between the two. I have the MSI PE 670 and it runs nice and quiet. I dont know about the Asus model but triple overvoltage can make the MSI PE a lot faster with overclocking.

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
I think the trap people can run into here is that they are unlocked on the card but the slider on afterburner can be locked. I think this comes from selecting an option during install. I cant remember the details but there are work-arounds for it. Im not sure how they would get away with releasing a card with that feature, and then just stop it without any announcement or rebranding.

Fierce_Battle

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
No offense All, but

ASUS GTX 670 TOP = Silent.
MSI GTX 670 PE = Better Overclocking.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/56546-msi-gtx-670-power-edition-oc-review-20.html (670 PE OC)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/55270-asus-gtx-670-directcu-ii-top-review-20.html (ASUS 670 TOP OC)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_670_directcu_ii_top_review,23.html (ASUS 670 TOP Overclocking)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_670_power_edition_oc_review,24.html (MSI 670 PE Overclocking)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_670_directcu_ii_top_review,9.html (ASUS 670 TOP Temperature)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_670_power_edition_oc_review,9.html (MSI 670 PE Temperature)

Pick which you care more about. Nothing is Perfect between those 2 card. If you care more about silent, I would choose ASUS, but if you care more about Overclocking, I would go for 670 PE. Both are Excellent card.

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Just to cure my curiosity, is the ASUS TOP silent under heavy load? Ive had my MSI PE running pretty hard and it doesnt pick up too much. Good case air flow ftw.

nstiver

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
WRONG!The Tops had issues but have been fixed long ago hell my friends card is flawless no issues and your card is NOT the same as the TOP the top uses specially higher binned chips. ;) P.S. If the Top was so bad how come it sells so well you can't even find it in stock hardly ever.

How do you know that the top got it's issues fixed? I have the non-top version and it's fukking sick. I would have got the top but for all of the problems people were having. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just wondering if there is any confirmation that Asus got it together and fixed the top, because that would be awesome.

To the OP, assuming that the TOP isn't having issues any more, get that. I have the non-top in 2x SLI and they absolutely crush any game I throw at them in 1080 120hz. If you are worried about the top potentially having issues, get the non-top. It is exactly the same minus the factory overclock and some people have even clocked theirs as high as 1300. You really can't go wrong with this card, Top or not.

nstiver

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

It's pretty quiet

Nobody is offended reviews differ from one another benchmarks done different setups you'll get different results you have to try both cards before you can tell which is better both are very good though and you couldn't go wrong either way. ;)

meth0dman

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
thank you all for your help, I think i've got enough feedback to be able to decide.
right now theres a good deal on the msi card, its almost the same price as its reference card which is a really good deal imo. i'll take it :)

Fierce_Battle

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

yep, I know both are very good.

enjoy