MSI GTX 670 won't handle any drivers - help!

c47man

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hey guys. I just built my new computer (I am typing this using onboard graphics). I have a Gigabyte X79-UP4 mobo, an i7-3930K CPU, and an MSI GeForce GTX 670. I installed the newest drivers (released today), 310.9, and when I rebooted I found that any changing of windows, opening of windows, moving of windows, or otherwise causing graphical calculations caused black stutters and error messages from windows 7 telling me that the graphics driver had crashed and recovered. After a minute or two, the screen will go completely black and eventually BSOD out.

I uninstalled the 310 drivers and installed the 306.97 driver. The problem is exactly the same.

My mobo BIOS are version F2, and the only version beyond that is a beta version.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a common issue? What can I do?

when you build a new pc make sure you plug in all the video card power plugs. some have two and are there for the power needed for the video card. the other issue is with a new build after you install windows you have to install intel chipset driver software. a lot of times windows 7/8 wont install the drivers needed for the mb chipset. without these drivers the video card and other devices wont work right. the other thing is check that the video card in the main 16x pci slot if there more then one.

c47man

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Both of the power sockets on the GPU are filled, and connected directly to the 850W PSU's PCI ports (no moleskin!). I took the card out and re-inserted it, and when starting windows again it correctly detected the card and installed the 310.90 drivers automatically. I installed updates to the chipset from the gigabyte website. There were two different download for Intel on the mobo's page, so I did both of them. The drivers crash less frequently now, but I still haven't been able to run for longer than 6 or 7 minutes.

You mentioned using the other PCI-E x16 port, but unfortunately I have the Noctua NH-D14 cooler installed, and so this is the only slot available for the GPU (the cooler covers the second slot).

Do you have any other ideas? If I can't figure something out then maybe I can throw in my old GTX 460 and see if the card is to blame.

have you tried running sfc /scannow to see if you have any errors?

open command prompt as administrator

type sfc /scannow and press enter

theres a space between sfc and /scannow
Try this it may sound stupid but it has worked for me and many others before.Turn off windows upate
Uninstall the drivers.
Download driver fusion http://treexy.com/
Reboot system in safe mode and run driver fusion.
Reboot again.
Re-downloaded drivers http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Turn on windows updates

c47man

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

I think I may have found the culprit. I put my old GTX 460 card in instead of the 670, and everything is working flawlessly. I am led to assume that my 670 is defective. Should I RMA? Is MSI a bad brand? Should I get a refund and go for a more trusted company like EVGA?

I wouldn't RMA if you had just purchased your card you can just return the card and get a different one. I agree 100% with Bigcyco's recommendations of what you ought to buy so the.

MSI GTX670 PE (big uses this one and he I take it liked it so much he bought a 2nd :p)
GIGABYTE GTX670OC ( I bought this one because the money matched up well to what I wanted otherwise I would of purchased either EVGA or ASUS do to there super silent cooler)
EVGA GTX670FTW (best reference card maker don't buy from another card manufacture if you get reference. EVGA provides the best warranty/support on the NVIDIA side of the fence)
ASUS 670 ASUS DIRECTCUII

Also
@ Noidea
He tried another card and didn't have an issue. So that leads me to believe he wasn't doing anything wrong with the insertion of the card or the powering of the card.