MSI GTX 750Ti working inconsistently

Jul 21, 2018
System model: MSI MS-7721
CPU: AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 3900 Mhz, 2 Core(s)
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 750Ti 2gb
RAM: 8gb DDR3
PSU: 420W

My MSI GTX 750Ti stopped working about 3 months ago. At first I was able to unplug the USB cables of my mouse and keyboard and then it would boot, but eventually it just stopped booting at all. The screen got stuck at post code 99 or A2 or would just get stuck on the MSI screen.

I unplugged the graphics card and used the pc for a while (as I didn't have time to fix it at the time). Computer worked fine without the graphics card. I then tried a bunch of solutions to get the pc to boot with the graphics card plugged in, nothing seemed to work. The screen I got stuck on varied a lot, so it was showing a lot of inconsistency.

Then one day, after playing around with the RAM, it booted again with the graphics card plugged in. The computer ran perfectly fine. A day later, when I tried booting it again, it was stuck again.

I tried the graphics card in another pc, that pc didn't manage to boot either. So I'm pretty sure the graphics card is faulty and not my motherboard.

Now I'm just trying to figure out if there is something wrong with the software, or perhaps the hardware of my graphics card. What surprises me the most is that the graphics card isn't dead, because once it goes past the booting process, the card works perfectly fine. It's just that it's rare to get the pc to boot with the graphics card plugged in.

Any advice is welcome.

Solution

That sucks because you mentioned that "the graphics card isn't dead, because once it goes past the booting process, the card works perfectly fine. It's just that it's rare to get the pc to boot with the graphics card plugged in."

you mentioned post code A2 or 99
https://windowsreport.com/fix-pc-error-code-99/

Have you searched online about those post codes?

What make and model of PSU do you have? and how old is it?
Your issue seems more power related than anything else to me.

Jul 21, 2018

That's what I initially thought too. However, the issue at hand is very inconsistent (booting up three times in a row could give me three different errors, such as code 99, code A2 or just get stuck on the MSI booting logo; which is prior to being able to access the bios).

Not just that, I tried the graphics card in another pc and it didn't boot up either. Once I put the more powerful graphics card back into that second pc, it booted up without any problems thus leaving me with the conclusion that it isn't likely that my power supply is the issue here.

The PSU I have is 3,5 years old and doesn't seem to be one of the fancy makes. It just says my wattage on there afaik. If it's important, I'll remove the case again and check if I can find a make and model. Let me know.

As PSUs age they are less and less able to supply their rated output, especially those of lesser quality. Brand and model are important here.

Jul 21, 2018

It only says "Model: LPW12-25E 3*SATA"

I googled that and it comes back as a Linkworld PSU Definitely not one of the better brands. It is still my number 1 suspect.

Jul 21, 2018

Latest driver updates are installed when it comes to the GPU.
Resetting CMOS did not fix anything.

Jul 21, 2018

But that doesn't explain why the graphics card also caused my brother's PC to not boot up. He has a different power supply and his own graphics card requires even more power.

What card does your brother have? Sometimes more powerful cards actually require less power than some older, weaker cards.

Jul 21, 2018

But the thing is, sure my motherboard has an outdated BIOS version, however the version I'm on is 30.5 which is from somewhere in 2014 whereas the newest version is 30.6 which is from late 2014. I've had no issues with my pc for the last 3,5 years while I owned it. Therefore I feel as if an update isn't really going to fix the issue, or am I missing something here?

Jul 21, 2018

He has a GTX 950 or 960 or something.

Jul 21, 2018

We didn't try because we both kinda agreed that my graphics card must be the faulty one, since his computer wasn't able to boot with it either.

omegadoom13

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

That sucks because you mentioned that "the graphics card isn't dead, because once it goes past the booting process, the card works perfectly fine. It's just that it's rare to get the pc to boot with the graphics card plugged in."

you mentioned post code A2 or 99
https://windowsreport.com/fix-pc-error-code-99/

Have you searched online about those post codes?

Solution