Question MSI GTX 770 Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grenthell

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
Greetings all,

My GPU(MSI GTX 770 Lightning ) has been acting up for quite some time now, as you can see from the pictures below (core clock going up and down like crazy).
I did a clean install of the graphic drivers and GeForce Experience, but that didn't really do anything. I did run Malwarebytes, if that's relevant. Stopping the Internet connection also didn't help.
The screenshots were taken when the PC was idling. Sometimes the problem doesn't occur.

CPU - i5 4670k
GPU - MSI GTX 770 Lightning
MOBO - MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
RAM - 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance
Windows 10, 64bit

I do not remember when the problem started occurring or if I had done anything (update, install, etc.) before that.

I do have Avast and Malwarebytes currently.

I have MSI Afterburner and GPUShark.

No overclocks.

Any idea how to troubleshoot this or what I can do to fix it?

EVDBoIt.png
GqJMcZM.png

J4rs8IA.png

Last edited:
Kindly provide specs, as much as possible from your side.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

Grenthell

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
Hi, thanks for the response. I'll add this to my question aswell.

CPU - i5 4670k
GPU - MSI GTX 770 Lightning
MOBO - MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
RAM - 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance
Windows 10, 64bit

I do not remember when the problem started occurring or if I had done anything (update, install, etc.) before that.

I do have Avast and Malwarebytes currently.

I have MSI Afterburner and GPUShark.

No overclocks.

I have the Corsair RM850 (850W Gold).

Okay. That's a very good PSU, high quality power unit. No worries here..When your PC is in IDLE state mode, then these spikes shouldn't be happening, imo. Check whether there is any background process/program/app running on your PC as well.

What's the GPU load/usage in Idle Mode ? Download the GPU-Z tool, and note down the load under the "sensors" TAB. Btw, are you sure there is no BITCOIN MINING virus on your system ?

Grenthell

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I did check the running processes. It says that GPU usage is at around 0%. Here's a screenshot of the GPU-Z Sensors readings:

Aj7w9AJ.png

Am I sure there is no mining virus? Absolutely not. I have always had Avast installed.
What's a good method to check and what are some reliable ways to get rid of such a virus?
I could reinstall OS and format my HDD and SSD, although I'd rather do this as a last resort.

Grenthell

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I also did stick an USB with Ubuntu and started a live session. Not sure how exactly to check GPU readings, but the fans ain't going berserk. As soon as I went back to my main OS they started spinning like crazy every 4-5 seconds.

3bkVlRm.jpg

Grenthell

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
So I played a game of Rainbow Six Siege, everything seemed normal. When I stopped playing I opened MSI Afterburner. Everything was fine for a minute or so after stopping. Then it started again (game was closed). I'm really confused.

bwdaNJb.png

Status
Not open for further replies.