[SOLVED] MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G lights and fans turn on but it doesn't send out any video signal.

Noa Nunumete

Honorable
Jul 9, 2016
MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G lights and fans turn on but it doesn't send out any video signal. when i disconnect the gpu the Intel internal graphics do work. i've tried reseting the ram an reseting the gpu. I have even tried reseting the CPU and i have swapped the motherboard battery. No result so far.
Any guesses how to fix this?

Solution
yes i have it connected via a 2 molex to PCIe adapter. And i know this is a cheap unit but it has worked for over 3 years now without any problems, even when i upgraded my CPU and Mobo. I am on a budget and can't really afford to replace both the power supply and my GPU. So i'm hoping that a PSU upgrade can maybe help fix my problem?

That is the worst thing that can be done when it comes to PSUs and VGAs; to power a graphics card that requires an 8-pin PCIE power connector through Molex adapters from a low-quality unit that lacks proper connections. There is a reason that your PSU did not come with PCIE power connectors/cables, which is most probably because the manufacturer knew it can not handle PCIE power requirements of...

Noa Nunumete

Honorable
Jul 9, 2016
Full system spec? include make and model of the psu

monitor connect to the gpu?
Thanks for your reply.
Everything is connected as it should be. i have tested my system with the gtx 1060 6g from a fried of mine and it worked fine.
System specs:
Intel core I5-8600K
Gigabyte Z370-HD3
Crucial DDR4 8gb 2666
MSI Geforce GTX 960 Gaming 4G
Samsung 750 EVO 250gb SSD
WD Bleu 1tb HDD
Inter tech SL 500A PSU

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Is this here your exact PSU? It seems it has no 6+2-pin PCIE power cable/connector. Nor sure about the quality either, I don't think it's a very good quality unit. First thing that catches the eye on their website is "The cheap power supply for entry level systems".

When it comes to PSUs cheap and good-quality don't go hand in hand.

That MSI GTX 960 4GB needs an 8-pin PCIE power cable I think? How have you connected the PSU to the graphics card? Have you used adapters?

Noa Nunumete

Honorable
Jul 9, 2016
Is this here your exact PSU? It seems it has no 6+2-pin PCIE power cable/connector. Nor sure about the quality either, I don't think it's a very good quality unit. First thing that catches the eye on their website is "The cheap power supply for entry level systems".

When it comes to PSUs cheap and good-quality don't go hand in hand.

That MSI GTX 960 4GB needs an 8-pin PCIE power cable I think? How have you connected the PSU to the graphics card? Have you used adapters?
yes i have it connected via a 2 molex to PCIe adapter. And i know this is a cheap unit but it has worked for over 3 years now without any problems, even when i upgraded my CPU and Mobo. I am on a budget and can't really afford to replace both the power supply and my GPU. So i'm hoping that a PSU upgrade can maybe help fix my problem?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

That is the worst thing that can be done when it comes to PSUs and VGAs; to power a graphics card that requires an 8-pin PCIE power connector through Molex adapters from a low-quality unit that lacks proper connections. There is a reason that your PSU did not come with PCIE power connectors/cables, which is most probably because the manufacturer knew it can not handle PCIE power requirements of graphics cards despite the 500W label.

The fact that it has worked for over 3 years is reason to be more concerned, as PSUs tend to lose some of their initial nominal capacity with age and this is faster and more intense on low-quality or weak units.

Yes the 1060 6GB worked but probably because they usually need a 6-pin where your 960 needs an 8-pin.

If you're lucky your 960 is still OK, if not it might have been damaged with the PSU struggling to power it. I'd suggest you check the 960 in his system to see if it's still working.

I'd also suggest (and I can't emphasize this enough) you don't try to turn on the PC and card with that PSU and change it to a decent-quality 500-550W unit from a reputable manufacturer, a model with good reviews.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Solution

Noa Nunumete

Honorable
Jul 9, 2016
That is the worst thing that can be done when it comes to PSUs and VGAs; to power a graphics card that requires an 8-pin PCIE power connector through Molex adapters from a low-quality unit that lacks proper connections. There is a reason that your PSU did not come with PCIE power connectors/cables, which is most probably because the manufacturer knew it can not handle PCIE power requirements of graphics cards despite the 500W label.

The fact that it has worked for over 3 years is reason to be more concerned, as PSUs tend to lose some of their initial nominal capacity with age and this is faster and more intense on low-quality or weak units.

Yes the 1060 6GB worked but probably because they usually need a 6-pin where your 960 needs an 8-pin.

If you're lucky your 960 is still OK, if not it might have been damaged with the PSU struggling to power it. I'd suggest you check the 960 in his system to see if it's still working.

I'd also suggest (and I can't emphasize this enough) you don't try to turn on the PC and card with that PSU and change it to a decent-quality 500-550W unit from a reputable manufacturer, a model with good reviews.
i will order a new psu today and hope that the 960 will turn on with that psu otherwise i'm scared that i have to game on Intel graphics.... so be it.
Thanks

Noa Nunumete

Honorable
Jul 9, 2016

IT WAS MY PSU. I connected a coolermaster psu and it worked!
Thanks a lot to you and all the others for the help!