Question MSI GTX 970 - A card with to connector (6+2 and 8 pins) but on one cable (in series). Is it OK?

Nov 30, 2022
Hi.
I have a weird card that has two connectors: 6+2 AND 8 pins and they both have to be plugged in order for it to work.
But I only have one cable that, however, has two plugs in series (550W chassis).

Can I safely cheat and plug this one cable to both connectors?
I've tried and it works fine but I'm worried about long term safety and performance.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Can you post the model number of the PSU in question? I am having a hard time visualizing what you mean by "in series". I would think you mean parallel.

It would appear (anyway) that your only option is to either use it or purchase another suitable power supply. A 970 wants 500W, so you 'should' be fine but not really clear on the connector.

Reactions: BananaBanana
Nov 30, 2022
Can you post the model number of the PSU in question? I am having a hard time visualizing what you mean by "in series". I would think you mean parallel.

It would appear (anyway) that your only option is to either use it or purchase another suitable power supply. A 970 wants 500W, so you 'should' be fine but not really clear on the connector.

It's Corsair VS550.
All cables are already plug for other purposes and the only one that is left has to connectors like a daisy chain.
I would assume that you have to connect the graphic cards with two separate cables but right now it's on one using both of its plugs.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
It's Corsair VS550.
All cables are already plug for other purposes and the only one that is left has to connectors like a daisy chain.
I would assume that you have to connect the graphic cards with two separate cables but right now it's on one using both of its plugs.
One cable split works, that card depending on the model is from 148 to about 165 watts.
The VS series power supplies are low quality I would replace it with better quality when you can.

Reactions: BananaBanana

TRENDING THREADS