[SOLVED] MSI GTX 970 furmark and fan speed question

mightmaster92

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Hello
Wanted to check how my GPU is doing so i ran furmark for a bit, got a question about fan speed
L4AxuaJ.png

Is it normal that my fans only got to 80% when my GPU hit 80°?
Should i worry about my hot spot temp?
For how long should i run Furmark before making reasonable conclusions? This screenshot was taken after 2-3 minutes.

Solution

If you want to change your fan control curve and settings, then I'd suggest you install MSI Afterburner and create a custom curve that ramps up a little earlier and spins a little faster, at whatever temps you feel most comfortable with and can stand the noise from. Plenty of tutorials out there on configuring graphics card fan curves using Afterburner or other manufacturer tweaking applications like EVGA Precision X1.

If you want to change your fan control curve and settings, then I'd suggest you install MSI Afterburner and create a custom curve that ramps up a little earlier and spins a little faster, at whatever temps you feel most comfortable with and can stand the noise from. Plenty of tutorials out there on configuring graphics card fan curves using Afterburner or other manufacturer tweaking applications like EVGA Precision X1.

Solution
Per the link I posted, it's totally up to you. Your hot spot doesn't exceed the maximum recommended temperature and your GPU temperature is within tolerance. Assuming those readings are while running Furmark, I'd say you are thermally compliant and any changes to fan curve are entirely up to your choice and preference. The card, while at the upper end of it's recommended tolerances, is in fact operating within the expected thermal envelope.

Reactions: mightmaster92

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Furmark with a gpu is not much different to Intel Burn or Prime95 with AVX and a cpu. Furmark is well known for being That Brutal, where it's actually burned out gpus that weren't upto is code. Use Furmark sparingly, it's not an app to be used regularly.

Msi Kombuster or Firestrike would be a little better at @ 100% loads and gaming type loads.

TRENDING THREADS