MSI GTX 970 - Not Detected

Apocrypha

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
Hello,

I have just recently set up my new build. Everything is working flawlessly except for the fact that the computer is not detecting the MSI GTX 970. My System spec are:

Motherboard: ASUS Z97 - Pro [Wi-Fi ac]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB
Memory: Crucial (Ballistix) (2 x 8GB) DDR3
Hard Driver 1: Samsung SSD - 250gig
Hard Drive 2: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 7200
Case: Cooler Master Mid Tower
PSU: EVGA 600 bronze power supply
CD/DVD: Super ritemaster

Currently the monitor is plugged into the motherboard via a VGA cable. I get no signal when using the same cable going through DVI adapter that came with the card.

I have tried two different PCI slots on the motherboard with no luck. The video card is fully seated with the 8 pin connector from the power supply. The card powers up and lights up, but is not detected.

I just updated my BIOS to the most current build (1304) through ASUS. Clueless at this point what could be wrong. Feedback is definitely appreciated! Thank you!

Solution
Ok you're not getting a display from the GTX 970. Do you have a case speaker? And if so, do you get any beeping when you turn on your system?

Does the computer appear to be booting even though you can't see anything on the display? For example is the HDD LED blinking continuously which indicates it's booting.

If it appears to be booting, it could be the DVI > VGA adapter, or it could be the DVI port on the card.

However if you are getting multiple beeps (assuming you have a case speaker), then it could be an issue with the motherboard detecting it. In which case I would suggest resetting the CMOS.

Does this motherboard had a BIOS code display?

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Double-check all connections. I mean all. Make sure the graphics card is in the topmost slot, closest to CPU. Make sure the latch clicks into place.
And as above poster said, could try a reset of BIOS. If you can't get into BIOS, remove the battery from motherboard, wait 30 seconds and place it back. It does the same thing.

Apocrypha

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014

It does not have a case speaker. The computer boots up fine and windows operates normally. I am currently posting from the computer. It just does not detect the video card at all though.

Do you think resetting the CMOS might be a solution? I just the BIOS settings to default.

Apocrypha

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014

I have double checked the video card PCI connection again and insured it is very snuggly fit and pressed down into the topmost slot closest to the CPU. The latch is in place.

EDIT: I also checked to make sure that the power supply cable is securely fastened into the card. It is. As originally stated, the card will power up and the lights will come on, but that's all the response I get from it. Fans do not turn on though.

Yes I would try to reset the BIOS via the jumper. The procedure is detailed in your motherboard manual.

Once you've done that, go into the BIOS and there should be a setting that sets what graphics interface to attempt to initialize first. Set this to PEG or External (the naming convention depends on the BIOS).

Hopefully this will help.

Solution

Apocrypha

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014

I'm unsure what a jumper is. Is this going to revert my bios update as well?

Here is a link to my motherboard manual: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z97-PRO/E9062_Z97-PRO.pdf

OK, downloaded the manual. Took awhile on my slow connection here in Yemen.

Look at page 1-4 of the manual. This shows you the location of the CLRTC jumper.

Look at page 1-24 of the manual. This explains the procedure to clear the BIOS.

It's relatively simple the jumper will be installed on pins 1-2. Follow the procedure exactly (turn off the computer and unplug it from AC mains), move the jumper to pins 2-3 and leave it there for a bit. Then move it back. Simple.

Hopefully this will force the motherboard to re-detect all your hardware and get your GTX 970 detected.

As for it reverting your BIOS back to the older version, no it will not. This only clears the date, time, and hardware configuration data.

Also have a look at page 3-39. You'll see a heading Primary Display, it will be defaulted to Auto, set this setting to PCIE. This tells the BIOS to attempt to initialize a discrete (external) display adapter. Don't worry about any of the other settings under Graphics Configuration, they only pertain to the on-die graphics.

Hope this helps.