MSI GTX 970 OC Blue vs MSI GTX 970 Gaming Edition

sdg

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
What are the differences between the MSI GTX 970 OC (Blue) Edition and the MSI GTX 970 Gaming Edition?

MSI GTX 970 OC (Blue): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127833

MSI GTX 970 Gaming: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127832

The reason I am asking this question is that I recently bought the MSI GTX 970 OC (Blue) but am wondering if I should have just waited for the Gaming Edition to come back in stock and pay the extra $10 if it is that much better. It seems like nearly everyone is buying the Gaming Edition but I didn't think there was too much of a difference between the two besides maybe a few fps.

Thank you ahead of time!

Solution
The MSI GTX 970 Gaming has a higher overclock and also has 3 profile settings... OC mode, Gaming Mode, and Silent Mode... I am unsure if the Blue has this. The gaming version seems to have a better cooler as well, if you look at the pictures you can see it has more/bigger heat pipes. Personally i'd pay the extra $10... But i don't think it is that big of a deal.. ( gaming also looks a lot better :) )
The MSI GTX 970 Gaming has a higher overclock and also has 3 profile settings... OC mode, Gaming Mode, and Silent Mode... I am unsure if the Blue has this. The gaming version seems to have a better cooler as well, if you look at the pictures you can see it has more/bigger heat pipes. Personally i'd pay the extra $10... But i don't think it is that big of a deal.. ( gaming also looks a lot better :) )

Solution

middlemarkal

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
the gaming seems to have better components, and when a compagny put's together many category pick the best if you whant to overclock because they bin (test, select ) the GPU acording to the card level.
for 10$ I'd take the gaming one.

sdg

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
Thanks everyone. Basically, what I am asking is if it is really that big of a difference/ a big deal that I ended up getting the slightly less good MSI GTX 970?