MSI GTX 970 terrible coil-whine!

Trustdesa

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2013
Hi Guys,

I bought a MSI GTX 970 from Novatech and it has a very bed coil-whine, in fact I can her it from my computer which is 2 meters away from my desk when I am playing.

I am arranging a return with them as it is very loud!

Has anyone had trouble with this card?

I had a MSI 760 before and it was fantastic and very quiet.

Trustdesa

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2013

Hi Alex let me know, I am curious to know whether it is a design issue or just a bad card!

Unfortunately Novatech doesn't work on Saturdays so I have to wait Monday to speak with them and hopefully it will not take too long to have it replaced or it is the first and last time I buy from them (again I will update the forum for the sake of good customer service).

Trustdesa

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2013

I thought that too as I do have a MSI 760 which is fantastic, that is why I got another MSI when upgrading!

Well let's see... I will keep you posted!

Trustdesa

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2013

Yep I think I have been unlucky...I have sent it back today so hopefully by mid next week I will have an update, I did not read great review about Novatech, but the again most people write reviews only when they are bad!

I will let you know!

Besides the card is very very fast (in my case also furious) but I did not play much with it as it was far too annoying!

Trustdesa

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2013
Quick update (still waiting for news from Novatech).

Just do a quick Google search and you will see lots of new thread of people complaining about coil-whine...

I wonder if this time Nvidia MSI and apparently also Evga have completed screwed it up?

I have also tried to contact MSI with no luck.

This is why people should be extremely picky about choosing their cards and only buying into quality only however that is far from easy when options are limited. The next card should be a lot better but in the long run the problem will surface again in the next card. This is why certain types of coils should be avoided but most companies these days only want the cheap stuff or those that take up the least space. The coil-whine is a symptom of a deeper issue with the coils overheating and the insulation for the windings breaking down from normal use however a failed VRM will make the problem a lot worse. A very oldschool TV repair trick is to use silicone around the coils, deals with the noise but causes overheating issues.

Trustdesa

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2013

Exactly but generally MSI pick first class component however it looks like that both EVGA and MSI screwed it up completely this time, there are also issue with the fans control which means that MSI has just rushed with this card unlike Asus which is not easy to find at the moment, probably because they actually took their time to test the card!

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=9.0 that is the MSI official forum!

sherpa25

Distinguished
May 24, 2012
FWIW, my MSI doesn't seem to have coil-whine/noise, stock or OC'g @ 1525/8000. Nor have I experienced the fan issue as I have the same bios posted by most in the msi forum, w/c makes me guess it might be caused by something else. My cheap fans though are louder. Wish I could water-cool the MSI. The Gigabyte appears to be a good one, or the best so far.

DarkSlim

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
I got mine not long ago and it has coil whine too, it's not TOO bad, I can handle it but it's a bit annoying as my PC is pretty quiet and if there's no sound from the TV or anything playing from the PC I can hear it buzzing, so now I have three options - leave it like that, try to RMA (to hopefully get one without coil whine, but there's still a chance I'll get another one like that (or even worse?)) or maybe try to "fix" it?
I've heared all kinds of ideas like changing the PSU (and I might need a PSU for another computer so I could get mine a new one), play with the setting in Afterburner or so, havn't read much about it yet, any suggestions?