MSI GTX 970 vs MSI R9 390

James Avila

Honorable
Sep 13, 2014
Which one of these is the better card, paired with a i5-4690k? I know about the higher tdp of the amd so im getting the 750 watt corsair for that, but if you guys say gtx 970 is better then ill get a 600 watt corsair.

P.S. are nvidia gameworks and shadowplay really that great?

Solution

Gracodana

Distinguished

Give or take a couple of big settings(eg hairworks for the witcher 3) and insanely bad ports yes. Also that psu isn't the best so I wouldn't want to put to much of a load on it which is a bit of a help for the 970. Shadowplay is pretty good, I use it for all my recording if you want to have a quick look at a video or two.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiwznfjXkPmGPuJ72e2GhvQ/videos

All the nvidia features are really nice I have to admit that hairworks in witcher 3 made me play about 1/3 of the game below 30fps just because of how nice it looked.

James Avila

Honorable
Sep 13, 2014
so the amd dosent have anything going for it besides for the useless 8gb of vram at 1080p?

Gracodana

Distinguished

There are features on AMD and they have recently updated their drivers so I think there is some new stuff but mostly it seems to apply to multi screen setups and such. I find the 390 a great choice for 4k and around even for 1440p but will scale a little better then the 970. For 1080p I would stick with the 970, you do get batman arkham knight free with it but thats broken for the for see able future so i'm not sure if thats an insentive.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS