May 24, 2019
A week ago I purchased a used MSI GTX 970 on eBay. Got it last Saturday and have now spent every night this week trying to get it working.

It started with buying a 550 watt PSU. The 970 wouldn't display, so I thought I didn't have enough juice and returned it for a 650 watt. Still no dice.

I've tried just about everything under the sun including formatting my SSD and reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows 10. This is where I left it last night:

970 fans run when PC is turned on. Running an HDMI from the motherboard it will display Windows. I install the 970 drivers and it says it needs a restart to complete. When it boots back up it's just crazy color bars and never shows Windows. I can move the mouse around and it glitches in and out. If I wait to restart and look in the device manager, the GTX 970 shows up under display devices but has a "!" on it and says code 12, the other display option needs to be disabled. Tried it....doesn't work.

My old GPUs work still, I tested them. I'm about to give up on this so can anybody help!? I've tried almost everything I've read. The seller stands firm that he tested the card and it works perfectly.

Thanks

Last edited:
Yup, that sounds like a faulty GPU, IMO. Not fully sure, but assuming, it was a used/second hand card, I wouldn't be surprised if the card turns out to be defective. That's why I NEVER suggest anyone to buy a used GPUs, unless they are 100% sure about the seller's reputation.

Anyways, what's the make/brand and MODEL number of your 650 Watts PSU ??

May 24, 2019
Yup, that sounds like a faulty GPU, IMO. Not fully sure, but assuming, it was a used/second hand card, I wouldn't be surprised if the card turns out to be defective. That's why I NEVER suggest anyone to buy a used GPUs, unless they are 100% sure about the seller's reputation.

Anyways, what's the make/brand and MODEL number of your 650 Watts PSU ??
Corsair CX-M Series 650 watt ATX 12v 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 bronze. Purchased at Best Buy