[SOLVED] Msi gtx1080 gaming x flickering pixels and artifacts

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Good Evening.

I have a msi gtx 1080 gaming x card. Used it fine for over a year. Last week my son overclocked it with msi after burner(he watched an overclocking video on youtube) and the card crashed with pc shutdown.

Pressed power button pc would blink for a split second but won't turn on. Removed the card pc goes on.

Disassemble the card checked all mosfets VRM area and found a shorted mosfet 4C86N. removed it from the card and checked the card again and pc would start (WITHOUT 1 MOSFET ON VRM) and card works also but there are white pixels and artifacts/flickering like things on screen as soon as i install the driver.

Run Unigine/furmark works without problem only crashed on ultra mode.

Can play game also but with articats and flickering pixels very small dots like shown in this video by someone else.

https://youtu.be/OBNPaN67fFM

So could it be due to insufficient power due to missing mosfet or the gpu/vRAM went bad.

I have ordered the replacment mosfet but would take 3 weeks to arrive.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jan 4, 2019
Graphical glitches, screen flickering and pc crashing are the effects of overclocking too much, looks like your GPU cannot handle how much you overclocked it, the solution is to simply reset your overclock or test out what overclock is best for you.

Frank07

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
UPDATE:.. I have found the mosfet and its driver, soldered on the card, but there was another mosfet which was also blown but completely open so it doesn't caused any short, But as far as now the card without one mosfet is working way more stable then before, Before was 2 mosfet missing, now 1.

BEFORE: its was artifacting at stock and -350 core, -500 memory,
NOW: Its artifacting at stock core, stock memory, if I go -60 on core then its stable.

So does it mean that the one remaining misfit would solve this problem.

Thanks