Question MSI GV62 7RD - Instantly boots to BIOS

Kent_6

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
Started just today while browsing on the internet then a loud sound came from the inside. Didn't freeze, but it didn't go away so I held the power button to turn it off. After that, the laptop only boots to BIOS. The hard drive is detected but it won't boot from there. Tried rearranging the boot sequence and didn't do anything. Also went in to the boot menu and chose the hard drive but still goes straight to BIOS.

Now, I'm trying to reinstall windows using a flash drive and it just loops infinitely on the MSI logo.

This laptop was a gift from my late father and I don't have any access to warranty (no idea where the receipt is, not even a clue where this was bought).

Any thoughts?

Kent_6

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
With current description, what you heard was HDD's mechanical failure.

Replace the HDD to get your laptop fixed. Oh, going with SSD gives you much faster read/write speeds than with HDD.
Thanks for the suggestion, Aeacus. I will replace it when I have my salary and will let you know how it goes.

Also, I tried to re-install windows but will give me BSOD (watchdog error) while its loading. It doesn't boot to the menu for windows selection.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
When the HDD is dead, you can't install any OS to it anymore. Be it Win, GNU/Linux or MacOS.

It's like when you have a flat tire on a car (hole in a tire) and you try to pump air back into it to fill the tire. It just doesn't work and only fix is tire replacement. In your case, it's HDD replacement.

TRENDING THREADS