MSI H110M Grenade Micro ATX Motherboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I used to build exclusively with ASUS motherboards, for obvious reasons. A couple recent times, I've given Gigabyte a shot and haven't been disappointed. After watching them for a couple years, I think it's time I gave MSI a shot, as well.

"There is no status code display on the board. There are, however, four diagnostic red LEDs to help identify a CPU, RAM, VGA, or boot device issue on POST... ...the audio section is bordered with an LED strip that has a breathing effect"

Just trying to wrap my mind around this. Breathing LED strip and a vague LED diagnostic display take precedence over a proper status code display? Somehow, am reminded of that old V Slims cigarette ad, "You've come a long way, baby". lol

Decent mobo review just the same, thanks Joe.

They don't use one of those hex digit displays, but the diagnostic LEDs will give you an idea of what to check (typically RAM) if the system won't boot. It sure beats "nothing at all."

bramahon

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Speaking from personal experiences, MSI boards have been an enigma to me. They offer more features within given price points, sport a very clean layout, seem solid and made out of quality components and then suddenly one day stop working! Me thinks it's down to QC. Anyway, great to see some entry level love;may we expect it to extend in a H110/B150/B250 shootout of some short?

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I'm a bit puzzled by the RAM data (in the UEFI).
The RAM sticks are identified as wanting 2400MHz with XMP enabled, yet the UEFI says (in the screenshots) the RAM runs at 2133MHz no matter if XMP is enabled or not.
Comments?

In all non Z170/Z270 boards, ram is limited to 2133

My attitude about the quality of MSI boards has really changed. While their older (and cheaper) AMD boards are horrible, I've not seen a single lemon among any of their Intel boards I've tested. Sometimes the price is a little high, but seems to be buying some quality. My next purely experimental build is likely to be AM4 (if Ryzen is at least comparable to an i3), and I'll probably have MSI on my short list.
And yes, 2133 seems to be the limit on all of the boards I've tested.

Tino_3

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
Can you use a SSD M.2 as boot device on this MOBO? I ask because the ssd m2 doesnt appear on BIOS

A PCIe M.2 SSD does not appear in the BIOS. I did not try to load Windows to it. I did not test with a mSATA SSD as I don't currently have one in that form factor. The QVL does include drives of this type; I'll need to get one for testing! You lose SATA port #4 if you put a SSD in this slot.

Agreed. Have always felt the same in re to the "Fatal1ty" naming scheme for that matter. Fatality PSUs, mobos, etc. Maybe especially for the PSUs though, just seems like something not very logical to see on one. I know, it just signified the inclusion of an eSports gaming brand teaming up with various manufacturers for product designs, but still...

Fatality PSU... nice

XENO_1

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
Hey does anyone now how to get full read and write speed from the m.2 slot the bios settings are not that in depth.

XENO_1

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

Sorry I should have worded it better I already bought the msi h110m grenade for my first build. Anyway I managed to find a Samsung 960 evo m.2 and install a fresh copy of windows 10 but in a benchmark I'm only hitting 5 gigs of transfer speed what gives? I know now of my boards limit as far pcie speed and I can still return it do you think I should go for the B150M Mortar Arctic?

Status
Not open for further replies.