Question MSI H110M PRO-VD BIOS Update

xyloosepwr

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
Hello! I have a plan to upgrade BIOS on that motherboard because my gpu Zotac RTX 2070 Mini not working well paired with i7 7700 (Kaby Lake), 16 GB DDR4 2400 (dual channel).
This is the BIOS version what i use now 2F0 12/4/2017. I can't even find that BIOS version on MSI support page.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-PRO-VD.html
Somehow i feel BIOS version what i use right now is pretty much overdated. I need a help which version to choose?? Should i try to change HPET settings in BIOS? I was doing that before with old GPU and didn't saw any difference?

Last edited:
That assumes updating the BIOS will fix whatever issue you allude to with the RTX 2070. Some think only update the BIOS if it can fix whatever issue it is you have, otherwise leave it.

The later BIOSes seem to be security orientated, with other fixes, which I assume is related to Spectre and Meltdown. The latest and newest BIOS would seem to be the best choice when considering these other issues.

What precise issue do you have which led you to think you need to update the motherboard BIOS to fix it?

xyloosepwr

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
That assumes updating the BIOS will fix whatever issue you allude to with the RTX 2070. Some think only update the BIOS if it can fix whatever issue it is you have, otherwise leave it.

The later BIOSes seem to be security orientated, with other fixes, which I assume is related to Spectre and Meltdown. The latest and newest BIOS would seem to be the best choice when considering these other issues.

What precise issue do you have which led you to think you need to update the motherboard BIOS to fix it?
After gpu change i have microstutters in some games.
Especially In PUBG frames drop from 170 to 50 (sometimes drop even to 38 fps) which is not acceptable for that card.
Before i use GTX 1050Ti and frames never drop under 35 fps. I know that game is not well optimized but other people with same specs even lower get much smoother experience.
Also i removed old drivers properly with DDU from safe mode installed new one 2-3 times, tried to tweak nvidia cp, but nothing helped.
Few days ago i bought brand new PSU Bequet System Power B9 80+ Bronze. GPU and CPU Temp. are absolutely fine.
GPU usage in game is 60-85%, CPU 37-60%.I use Windows 10 with latest updates, cleaned very often with anti malware software like Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes adw cleaner. Seems like only thing left to try is BIOS Update, but i really don't know which version is safe to upgrade...Some people told me it could be CPU Bottleneck, also i recognize after changing gpu my cpu now working on 4.1 ghz, before cpu work on stock speed 3.6 ghz
I play on 1080p 144Hz monitor connected with Dual Link Gold Plated DVI Cable

Last edited:
Those issues pretty much indicate a performance issue between the game coding, CPU and GPU typically. These are things a BIOS update are unlikely to resolve. The fact you get more stuttering after a graphics card upgrade reinforces this.

Your CPU has to work harder to provide the more powerful GPU with more to render. My guess is if you monitor ingame performance with MSI Afterburner you'd see some components hitting 100% leading to a drop of fps or extended frame times leading to the stuttering you experience.

xyloosepwr

Prominent
Mar 7, 2019
Those issues pretty much indicate a performance issue between the game coding, CPU and GPU typically. These are things a BIOS update are unlikely to resolve. The fact you get more stuttering after a graphics card upgrade reinforces this.

Your CPU has to work harder to provide the more powerful GPU with more to render. My guess is if you monitor ingame performance with MSI Afterburner you'd see some components hitting 100% leading to a drop of fps or extended frame times leading to the stuttering you experience.
yesterday i changed some settings in game and in nvidia cp and monitor ingame performance with MSI Afterburner. gpu usage never goes above 75%, but cpu 37-60%. (50% in most of playtime)

Depending on the game optimisation it may use few cores, like a single thread. If a single thread is maxed out, it won't be the overall CPU usage. More likely with older games. Modern games are starting to max out quad cores too leading many to recommend 6 core minimum. May not be your case but it's the overall trend.

With better updates PUBG may be better optimised, but for a long time it wasn't able to take advantage of PC hardware as I understand it.