[SOLVED] MSI H310m pro-vh plus AIO Cooling

Mar 29, 2021
Hi guys! Firstly sorry for my english (is not my first language)
So i have this MSI H310m pro-vh plus (Details) and want to AIO Cooling my VGA Card with ID-Cooling Iceflow 240 VGA.
And this is will be my first ever for AIO Installment. Problem is that the motherboard only have CPU_FAN and SYS_FAN (Image), and the CPU_FAN is occupied by my HSF Coolermaster Hyper 212. So where do i connect the pump, radiator, and fan radiator? Should i really change the motherboard? Or is there an alternative?

Solution
Case and fans look fine.
There should not be a cooling problem with your setup.
It is normal for a graphics card to adjust performance to maintain a temperature around 80c.
What is the make/model of your graphics card?

To get more cooling air delivered to the graphics card, you could replace the front fans with more powerful ones.

galaxymark1994

Honorable
Apr 22, 2016
Change your motherboard to at least B360 which is more capable of handling the power draw of any AIO cooler.
I was first thinking of an alternative way where you use a system fan splitter but 1 system fan connector is recommended for 2 fans only.
Also, if you're not experiencing temperature problems with your GPU, I'm sure the default cooling should be good enough but it's still your decision if you wish to proceed with AIO GPU cooling.

Reactions: Alfie07
Mar 29, 2021
Change your motherboard to at least B360 which is more capable of handling the power draw of any AIO cooler.
I was first thinking of an alternative way where you use a system fan splitter but 1 system fan connector is recommended for 2 fans only.
Also, if you're not experiencing temperature problems with your GPU, I'm sure the default cooling should be good enough but it's still your decision if you wish to proceed with AIO GPU cooling.

Hi, and many thanks for the reply!
Yes, i do have temperature problem with my GPU (It goes 85 C on full load and the hot spot goes to 98+ !) that's why i look up for AIO GPU cooling.
And what if i pushing (if that's correct choice of word) to use the system fan splitter, will it work though?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There are two problems here that the manual for that cooling system does NOT address at all. So I really think you need to contact Tech Support at ID Cooling and get answers.

1. There is NO way for any temperature measurement of video card components (e.g., the GPU chip on the card) so be sent to the mobo. Now, ANY mobo automatic fan header control system alters the speed of the fan connected according to the TEMPERATURE of a sensor - either one inside the CPU chip for the CPU_FAN header, or one on the mobo for the SYS_FAN header. So there is no way for either of those systems to manage the cooling of a video card GPU chip. Normally on a video card with active cooling (e.g., a fan), one of two strategies is used: either the fan always operates at full speed with no control, or the fan speed IS controlled by by a system ON the video card, with NO involvement from the mobo. So even if your video card does this, you have no way to tap into that system and use its signals to control the new AIO cooler system. So we are left with the big question: how does ID Cooling expect to manage that cooling system? Options I can imagine possible:
(a) The rad fans of that system MIGHT be put under automatic control by the mobo CPU_FAN header, on the assumption that the CPU workload is a good guide of the video card workload - not a great assumption, but maybe a reasonable approximation. OR they might have planned to use the mobo SYS_FAN header on a similar assumption, BUT that is a worse approximation.
(b) They may have intended the pump and the rad fans (and the fan in their module mounted on the video card) all to run a full speed all the time with no control. In this case, there is NO need to connect to a mobo fan header except for a power supply. But JUST a power supply would best be provided by connecting to a fixed 12 VDC supply output from the PSU directly, and not from a mobo header. This WOULD need a small adapter, since the ID Cooling system uses a standard 4-pin fan female connector on its input cable.
(c) They may have created their own internal fan speed control system based on a temperature measured within the AIO liquid loop, and again that would have NO need for connection to a mobo header. Just need power.

To get the answer to HOW the system is supposed to be controlled, you will have to ask ID Cooling.

2. The website for the system shows that the Pump, two rad fans, and the video card module fan all use power at max 12 VDC, with max current draws for these four items of 0.25 A, 0.25 A (x2), and 0.16 A. Four motors all together. The manual shows a drawing of ONE power cable Y-Splitter with two outputs. It tells you nothing about where that plugs into what, nor anything about the other two motors. So, how do they intend to power all those items?

Reactions: Alfie07
Do not waste your money.
Yes, the 3080 graphics cards that your link supports do run hot, but they are built to tolerate heat.
80c. is a normal operating temperature.
What is the make/model of your case?
What you CAN do is to look to getting more airflow into your case so that the existing cooler can do it's job.

Mar 29, 2021
@--SID--
CPU: I5 9400F with Coolermaster Hyper 212 HSF
GPU:MSI RTX 2060 Ventus XS
Case: Its a local brand one (PARADOX Gaming Slayer)

@Paperdoc
Much appreciated for the reply! Just contacted ID-Cooling and now waiting for their answer.
Just wondering, i looked up to the amazon reviews, that they used 4-pin PWM Splitter to connect the rad & VRAM Fans to the GPU Native fan plug. Does that mean i could just connect the PUMP to SYS_FAN?

@geofelt
But it keeps throttling at 83 C and performance went down much, so it's really bothering me...btw my GPU is MSI RTX 2060 Ventus XS. The case is local brand one (Paradox Gaming Slayer) and in my case it looks like this:
fancase.jpg

Case and fans look fine.
There should not be a cooling problem with your setup.
It is normal for a graphics card to adjust performance to maintain a temperature around 80c.
What is the make/model of your graphics card?

To get more cooling air delivered to the graphics card, you could replace the front fans with more powerful ones.

Solution
PARADOX Gaming Slayer
How many casefans have you mounted in that case. Did you buy the optional cooling fan package?

Cooling Fan Package (Optional)
Black
8cm fan 8cm crystal blue fan LED fan (4 color LED)
12cm fan black
12cm fan purple
12cm fan 12cm fan crystal blue LED (4 color LED)
12cm fan Blue LED with black blue frame (15 color LED)
12cm fan Red LED with black blue frame (LED 33 colors)
14cm
fan purple color 14cm fan crystal blue

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OP, responding to two points raised.

So the user comment you cited on Amazon says he found a connector on the video card that apparently looks and acts like a standard 4-pin fan connector. It may or may not be using the new PWM Mode for speed control, but that does not matter if it works. A small point to consider there. Almost all mobo fan headers can supply power up to 1.0 A max total load. The combined load of the two rad fans plus the one for VRM cooling on the card is 0.66 A, quite acceptable for that limit. The only item not yet known for sure it whether the system on the VIDEO CARD actually has that same ability to supply up to 1.0 A max. Note that, to power these THREE items from one video card fan header, you'll need a 4-pin SPLITTER with at least three outputs, like this

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...keywords=4-pin+Splitter&qid=1617121377&sr=8-3

That's a 2-pack. In using that, note that a fan header can deal with the SPEED signal from only one fan, so the Splitter will only send back a speed signal from one of its outputs. There is no way to check the speed of the fans on the other outputs. On a Splitter, that normally is from the fan that is plugged into the ONLY output arm with all FOUR pins. (On the item linked, it comes with a label on that arm.) Among the three fans you will connect, I suggest you plug into that output arm the VRM fan on the card. This is because I assume (may be wrong) that the video card will do a secondary job at that fan header similar to what a mobo header does: monitor the speed signal it gets for possible FAILURE of the fan, to protect itself from overheating. Among those three fans, the on-card VRM cooler is more important for failure detection, because a failure of one rad fan will only result in a slow temperature rise on the card, not a rapid problem.

For power supply to the PUMP, there are a few details to consider. First, until ID Cooling replies, you don't know for sure what power the pump needs. In AIO cooler systems for a CPU chip, often the pump uses a connection to a 4-pin header that is using the new PWM Mode of fan speed control. This works because they are using a quirk of fan design: the pump is wired just like a 3-pin older fan type, and connecting that to a standard 4-pin PWM header means the pump ALWAYS gets a full 12 VDC power supply and runs full speed, which is how it is intended to run. That MAY be how this pump is wired and designed. If so, then it is important to know what else is plugged into that SYS_FAN header, and how it is configured. IF that header has a 4-pin fan and IS configured in BIOS Setup to use the new PWM Mode, then this all can work. (To check that detail, look in your mobo manual on p. 16 in the inserted graph. At upper left it should be set to PWM, not DC, for this to work. BUT if you have changed that to accommodate an older 3-pin fan on that header, there is a problem. Of course, if you are going to do this you will need a 4-pin Splitter to power both the video card cooler system pump and a case fan from it. You nay even have such an item in use now - depends on how your case cooling is done. If you already have more than one fan attached there, remember that you are proposing to add 0.25 A extra load on that header. ALSO, if you do this, again I recommend plugging this PUMP into the ONLY Splitter output that picks up the "fan" speed signal to monitor for failure. For video card cooling, continued functioning of that pump is critical, so you want to be warned of failure. You just have to remember that, if the mobo tells you the CASE fan (SYS_FAN) has failed, it really it the VIDEO CARD PUMP that has failed and needs immediate attention.

IF you cannot arrange properly to supply power to the pump from the SYS_FAN header, and IF you find out that ID cooling says the pump needs a fixed 12 VDC power supply, that CAN be done using an adapter designed to allow you to connect a 4-pin fan directly to a power output from the PSU.

Last edited: