MSI H81M-P33 + G3258 overclocking problems (help needed)

Sammy43

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Earlier this month I decided to build a MATX PC as my first ever full build. I decided on the MSI H81M-P33 and the Intel Pentium G3258 as I was wanting to do some overclocking for the first time and heard this was a good one to go with.

I had read on multiple different forums that with this combo and stock cooler it can be possible to reach 4.5ghz at 1.3v.

All my parts arrived, I built them up, got everything going and ran the PC for a day before attempting to overclock.

I then decided all was well so it was time to attempt the overclock. I used the MSI click bios to do it and used a few websites to kind of guide me around it all as it is my first attempt at overclocking.

I first tried 4.5ghz at 1.3v, PC came on but crashed shortly after. I then tried many different combinations all failing. Ended up having to remove the little mobo battery as the PC wouldn't boot up.

Got the PC going again and then came down to 4.2ghz with cpu core 1.150v and cpu ring 3.9ghz at 1.095v. The PC booted was running perfectly fine, temps were all good so I decided to run a stress test on it. I launched Aida64 ran the test, it ran for approximately 4 minutes then the PC shut down again.

This is what I don't understand: during the stress test the max temp the CPU cores went to was just shy of 60. Why would the PC crash with the temps so low? Isn't it possible to run up to near 90 with no issues.

Screenshot:
11263184_10153262428142357_1221446136_n_zpsftyzeo99.jpg

Any help would be much, much appreciated. I am truly stuck and not sure what to do now.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
The shutdown is most likely attributed to a lack of voltage, not overheating. I don't know where you read that the stock cooler can manage 4.5Ghz at 1.3v, but that's bad advice. Overclocking is never an exact science and you should always install a decent aftermarket cooler.

If I were you, I'd put the ratio and voltages back to their default value and have a read of this guide; http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/272214-29-wolfram-beginner-guide-overclocking. When it comes to overclocking you need to understand how the process works. You'll be able to diagnose problems and gain an appreciation of how clock speed, voltage and heat are tied together.
The shutdown is most likely attributed to a lack of voltage, not overheating. I don't know where you read that the stock cooler can manage 4.5Ghz at 1.3v, but that's bad advice. Overclocking is never an exact science and you should always install a decent aftermarket cooler.

If I were you, I'd put the ratio and voltages back to their default value and have a read of this guide; http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/272214-29-wolfram-beginner-guide-overclocking. When it comes to overclocking you need to understand how the process works. You'll be able to diagnose problems and gain an appreciation of how clock speed, voltage and heat are tied together.

Solution

Sammy43

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks for the answers.

Bicycle repair man, I didn't read you can definitely oc to 4.5ghz at 1.3v, I read it can be possible though.

I've read it on many different places, mainly here: https://m.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/2r24ot/here_is_a_basic_overclocking_guide_for_the_g3258/

Ill check out the guide you posted though and keep at stock speeds for the moment till I understand it all.

Thanks for the info.