MSI HAWK vs HIS IceQ

GhostFaceKilla

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
I know the HAWK can OC like a beast but I only have a 500 PSU (Corsair CX500) and I don't know if I'd be able to utilize the full potential of it. Also the IceQ is a little cheeper (only like $18 before rebate)

Opinions?

Sometimes TH does bad reviews.I think some of the reviews are way off.

The MSI Radeon HD 7870 HAWK is the MSI Lightning's smaller brother. It uses the company's signature Twin Frozr II dual-fan cooler. MSI has also increased the clock speeds of the HD 7870 HAWK to 1100 MHz GPU and 1200 MHz memory.It can be overclocked like a beast i would go with it.

Although HIS base models can be fairly shoddy, with noisy fans and weak coolers, the IceQ Turbo coolers have been consistently good since their introduction.
MSI probably overclocks better, but the HIS cooler is better.
With a Corsair V2 Builder (made by CWT with some inferior Samxon capacitors), trying for high overclocks is probably not a good idea. If you might eventually replace the PSU, and want to overclock a lot then, get the MSI. If overclocking isn't that big a deal, and/or you don't plan to replace the PSU at all, get the HIS; it will be quieter, cooler, AND it exhausts its heat out of the case (particularly good for the sake of the PSU).

GhostFaceKilla

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

You're both right. Which is why I'm debating.

My specs aren't power hungry at all. I'm drawing about 155w without a GPU right now. It's the amps I'm worried about. I only have 38 on a +12v rail.

That's plenty. P=IE so you've got 456W available on +12V. If you're drawing 155W now, that's probably <130W after efficiency losses. A HD7870 uses nowhere near 326W; it only has power connections for a max of 225W. I don't have the link to GPU power usage here at work, but I think it's actually not much over 150W (just enough to need the second PCIe power connector); and its TDP is 175W.

GhostFaceKilla

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Alright sweet I think ill get the HAWK but just not OC until I get a better PSU.

TRENDING THREADS