[SOLVED] MSI Infinite X 11TD hot CPU

Apr 21, 2022
Hello, I'm more a gamer then a hardware nerd, so a preinstalled gaming desktop was it for me.
Now i was wondering from the start why my new MSI PC was quite loud some times, and as a friend of mine had heat issues with his a year older MSI PC I started using HWMonitor to try to measue my PC Temps.
And for sure, my CPU temps seem a little high.
Right now im idleing at about 50°C (122°F) and even playing some older games live Wow brings it up into the 60°C-80°C, now thats only true until i open a browser on my second monitor to watch a stream or sth., now my Max temps reach the 100°C (212°F) with the fans doing a jet engine expression.
I talked to my friend who told me he had an even worse problem idling even higher, but exchanging the stock AIO fixed his problem entirely.
So now my problem as im no technician is I cannot casually do that myself, so im looking for other opinions or solutions.
For my specs (i guess the system name tells them but i will mention it anyway)
Motherboard: MSI Z590M Gaming Edge Wifi (MS-7D12)
CPU: AIO cooled Intel I7 11700KF
GPU: RTX 3070 (with stays cool, fancooled)
First question, are my temps really too high? My system runs fine, no bluescreen, good performance, just quite loud and the fans hitting of when i reach the 100°C (212°F)
Would changing thermal paste do anything (i got the PC just 2 months ago)
Should i consider swapping out the stock AIO (or even get a block cooler for cheaper testing?)
If yes, should i attempt to do it myself (im not bad with tinkering, just didn't to sth like this before (would consult YT ofc)
I really do not want to send it in with the shortages nowadays just to wait for it for months
Happy with all feedback :D

Solution
You can buy an H60 like your friend did, or... Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120, be quiet! Pure Loop 120... I think Corsair discontinued the H80i V2, which is unfortunate, as that would've been a good one.
Avoid Kraken M22 - another Apaltek-made cooler.
Your buddy most likely had an Apaltek cooler in their too, just rebranded as someone else's.

Because of the Infinite X's design, your AIO options are limited to 120mm.
Air cooler options are a complete unknown; Msi doesn't provide specs on it, and even when I tried to search 'Msi Infinite X 11th air coolers', or similar, nothing turns up.
You're going to have to measure(in mm) from the top of the cpu to where the side panel would be, if it were closed, to find that one out.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Your buddy is on the right track. Replace the cooler and this will be solved.
Seen a few other Msi Infinite X prebuilts using crappy Apaltek coolers - either clogging up earlier than they should be due to dirty coolant, or dying early from the mounting position, or a combination of those.

Just to double check - at the back of the PC, can you see a black cube built in to the radiator?

Apr 21, 2022
cannot post an image, but yeah theres like a black square that covers maybe 1/9 of the radiator/fans whole size, right in the middle of the radiator
Edit: what does this mean?^^

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That cube contains the pump, which is one of the telltale signs of an Apaltek* made cooler. Likely a Msi MAG Coreliquid 120R.
[The Enermax Liqtechs didn't have the pump in radiator design, but they still clogged up early. Apaltek made those too.]
You're better off just replacing it.

Apr 21, 2022
any suggestions as to what cooler i should buy?
my buddy got a Corsair H60 120mm AIO, and as i said his temps are good, so that thing cant be as bad as mine right?^^

Edit: my cooler got one fan and radiator. , i guess i have to stick to that design, as my case should be somewhat designed to handle that? everything else would mean moving fans left and right^^

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You can buy an H60 like your friend did, or... Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120, be quiet! Pure Loop 120... I think Corsair discontinued the H80i V2, which is unfortunate, as that would've been a good one.
Avoid Kraken M22 - another Apaltek-made cooler.
Your buddy most likely had an Apaltek cooler in their too, just rebranded as someone else's.

Because of the Infinite X's design, your AIO options are limited to 120mm.
Air cooler options are a complete unknown; Msi doesn't provide specs on it, and even when I tried to search 'Msi Infinite X 11th air coolers', or similar, nothing turns up.
You're going to have to measure(in mm) from the top of the cpu to where the side panel would be, if it were closed, to find that one out.

Solution
Apr 21, 2022
thanks for the input, will look into the options you listed and change the damn thing, need the stock one though, as the pc is leased so if i choose to return it in 2 years i need to swap it back^^

May 23, 2022
Hi @Wollhuhn , I have the same system as yours and have been experiencing the exact same issue. It would mean the world to me if you could reply and tell me if the AiO replacement fixed your issue as i can't find any other issues with my system from looking inside it.