MSI Introduces Aegis 'Barebones' PC, With No Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caleb Hale

Distinguished
May 17, 2013
They should coin a new term since this is definitely not a barebones PC.
Skinbag PC?
Shell PC?
Case w/ cooling system? <-- That sounds about right.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I think its a good start, moving the PSU away from the case could reduce the heat in the case, we can talk about how it looks all day but fundamentally it a good design when it comes to airflow.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
That PSU doesn't look standard. Is that a small form factor? Gonna be expensive and loud.

The CPU vents heat downward? Is that how physics works now? Based on the GPU placing, you're gonna need a short CPU cooler, or liquid (which kind defeats the purpose of a dedicated airflow stream for the CPU).

The GPU must use one heck of a riser to move to the side of the case, basically above the CPU. Also, rear-venting GPUs tend to be loud (because of their one fan).

This case looks loud and expensive, is basically what I'm saying.

P.S., I hope those airflow pictures are mirrored, because otherwise that's a BTXor ITX motherboard. They don't make BTX anymore, and who buys a case this big and puts an ITX mobo in it? Even mirrored, it's still only mATX. Ok, this actually ties back up to the article. You say it's bare bones with no mobo, and then don't mention what mobos it supports. That's annoying.

This does have a motherboard in it, according to MSI:
https://us.msi.com/product/barebone/Aegis-001BUS.html#hero-specification
A B150.

Also comes with a 600W silver, which should be fine for any single card. it has to be an ITX system.

I think this has everything except CPU, GPU, RAM and storage.

The page goes on to say it has a "MSI Propriety" motherboard, so one not available for comercial sale, probably because it also has a "MSI Proprietary CPU cooler" that likely has a spec hook up that only works on this motherboard.

It also comes with a superslim optical drive.

That PSU doesn't look standard. Is that a small form factor? Gonna be expensive and loud.

The CPU vents heat downward? Is that how physics works now? Based on the GPU placing, you're gonna need a short CPU cooler, or liquid (which kind defeats the purpose of a dedicated airflow stream for the CPU).

The GPU must use one heck of a riser to move to the side of the case, basically above the CPU. Also, rear-venting GPUs tend to be loud (because of their one fan).

This case looks loud and expensive, is basically what I'm saying.

P.S., I hope those airflow pictures are mirrored, because otherwise that's a BTXor ITX motherboard. They don't make BTX anymore, and who buys a case this big and puts an ITX mobo in it? Even mirrored, it's still only mATX. Ok, this actually ties back up to the article. You say it's bare bones with no mobo, and then don't mention what mobos it supports. That's annoying.

Yeah, CPU vent seems very problematic. They are trying to blow hot air downward when it naturally rises.

The case looks like a waste of money though. Very inefficient use of space and most likely will have problems with many aftermarket parts. I guess they are targeting gamerz with this case.

OzDracula

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
GPU is not mounted directly to the motherboard and expansion slots are on a separate circuit board. In other words it's likely a custom motherboard that doesn't adhere to any PC industry form-factor. In other words you gotta go back to MSI for motherboard upgrades if available at all.

I would guess it is just a riser card(based on another MSI SFF system).

Ok, I might not kick them, but I'd certainly look at them funny. For a long time. And then walk away. If you want a funky looking case like this, you can get any of a slew of Raidmax or other cheap brand cases that focus on transformer like aesthetics for much cheaper, and without the hassle of proprietary configurations.

OhioLeda

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
"sooo it's a case..."

The title lured me in with Bare Bones w/ "No mother board" I was like huh?
And the first comment had me in stitches!
LOL @ Scream2Nite

Status
Not open for further replies.