MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR FSB Setting w/ AMD XP 3000+ (400 FSB) ..

Here's what I have:

MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR
AMD XP 3000+ (400 FSB)
1 GB Crucial PC2700 333DDR
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
WD 120GB 7200RPM

Installed everything and booted up fine the first time. I went into
the BIOS, adjusted the FSB setting to 200 (as per AMD's instructions
on their website), rebooted and...nothing.

Cleared the CMOS and set the J10 jumper to SafeMode and switched the
time back to 100. I can now boot successfully.

Question 1: What setting do I need to use in order to take advantage
of the CPU's full FSB?

Question 2: Did I go wrong in the purchase of the PC2700 memory?
Should I have gotten the DDR400 instead?

I haven't tried cycling through to see what will "take" as of yet.
(It was way past my bedtime when I finally got everything together.)
I'll be doing that tonight. I figured I'd see if any of you have any
other suggestions.

Thanks --
Sam

On 6/10/2004 9:21 AM Googler brightened our day with:

>Here's what I have:
>
>MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR
>AMD XP 3000+ (400 FSB)
>1 GB Crucial PC2700 333DDR
>ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
>WD 120GB 7200RPM
>
>Installed everything and booted up fine the first time. I went into
>the BIOS, adjusted the FSB setting to 200 (as per AMD's instructions
>on their website), rebooted and...nothing.
>
>Cleared the CMOS and set the J10 jumper to SafeMode and switched the
>time back to 100. I can now boot successfully.
>
>Question 1: What setting do I need to use in order to take advantage
>of the CPU's full FSB?

I think the XP 3000's are 10.5x200 if you have a 400 MHz FSB one,
otherwise its 13x166.

>Question 2: Did I go wrong in the purchase of the PC2700 memory?
>Should I have gotten the DDR400 instead?

You should have got DDR400, to run at FSB 200 you're overclocking the
memory. Go exchange the RAM and pay the extra $ to get the DDR400
PC32000 RAM. Right now you can run at 166x13 and you'll be doing OK.

--
"I'm not made of money, we'll swim to Oakland"

Steve [Inglo]

Actually, I believe the BIOS will let you underclock your memory
(memory multipliers of less than 1).

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:14:45 UTC, Inglo
<ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote:

> You should have got DDR400, to run at FSB 200 you're overclocking the
> memory. Go exchange the RAM and pay the extra $ to get the DDR400
> PC32000 RAM. Right now you can run at 166x13 and you'll be doing OK.

--
Bill
(Please remove "no-spam" from address when replying)

On 6/10/2004 9:42 PM Bill Ko brightened our day with:

>Actually, I believe the BIOS will let you underclock your memory
>(memory multipliers of less than 1).

You mean setting the DRAM/FSB Ratio to something like 5/6, so the memory
is at 166 and the FSB is at 200. That is a terrible performance
recommendation for nForce2 boards. The memory and FSB should always be
run synchronous.

--
"I'm not made of money, we'll swim to Oakland"

Steve [Inglo]

I agree, but at least he can avoid getting new memory until such time
he can get some memory.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 04:48:49 UTC, Inglo

--
Bill
(Please remove "no-spam" from address when replying)

On 6/12/2004 11:56 AM Bill Ko brightened our day with:

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 04:48:49 UTC, Inglo wrote:
>

>>You mean setting the DRAM/FSB Ratio to something like 5/6, so the memory
>>is at 166 and the FSB is at 200. That is a terrible performance
>>recommendation for nForce2 boards. The memory and FSB should always be
>>run synchronous.
>>

>I agree, but at least he can avoid getting new memory until such time
>he can get some memory.

What he should do in the time being is run the Athlon @ 13x166 and
synced with the memory. Of course his CPU multiplier could be locked.

--
Steve [Inglo]