MSI K8N NEO 4 Platinum - Chipset driver

Just received my new pc with the above mentioned mb. Should I install
NVIDIA's chipset drivers, or stick with MSI's (somewhat older) drivers?

MrK

Am Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:13:37 +0100 schrieb Mr K:

> Just received my new pc with the above mentioned mb. Should I install
> NVIDIA's chipset drivers, or stick with MSI's (somewhat older) drivers?

I'd prefer the newest drivers from Nvidia.
For I have very often read that Nvidia's IDE drivers might cause problems,
you should prefer the standard drivers from MS, that are part of Windows.

So, install Nvidia drivers without the IDE drivers.

Michael

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Michael Paul wrote:
> Am Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:13:37 +0100 schrieb Mr K:
>

>>Just received my new pc with the above mentioned mb. Should I install
>>NVIDIA's chipset drivers, or stick with MSI's (somewhat older) drivers?
>

> I'd prefer the newest drivers from Nvidia.
> For I have very often read that Nvidia's IDE drivers might cause problems,
> you should prefer the standard drivers from MS, that are part of Windows.
>
> So, install Nvidia drivers without the IDE drivers.
>
> Michael

MSFT doesn't write device drivers. The standard drivers would have been
written by nVidia and added to Windows before it was released.

I agree that the drivers with Windows would be *known* to work, on the
other hand, the latest nVidia drivers provide additional enhancements
and resolve problems discovered since the Windows release.

I have the latest nVidia drivers installed on Windows XP Pro and Windows
XP Pro x64 beta, they work very well on my K8N Neo2 Platinum.

You could consider installing as Michael suggested, check system
performance, and then try installing the IDE drivers afterward. If
somehow you did encounter a problem you could always roll-back the
driver to the previous configuration.

Don

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

> Am Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:13:37 +0100 schrieb Mr K:
>

>>Just received my new pc with the above mentioned mb. Should I install
>>NVIDIA's chipset drivers, or stick with MSI's (somewhat older) drivers?

You might wish to check the MSI site for the latest version(s). All the
drivers that came with my mobo were outdated including the BIOS. I ended
up downloading the lastest from the nVidia website and from the AMD
website (for the CPU).

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

Don wrote:
> Michael Paul wrote:
>
>> Am Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:13:37 +0100 schrieb Mr K:
>>

>>> Just received my new pc with the above mentioned mb. Should I install
>>> NVIDIA's chipset drivers, or stick with MSI's (somewhat older) drivers?
>>

>> I'd prefer the newest drivers from Nvidia. For I have very often read
>> that Nvidia's IDE drivers might cause problems,
>> you should prefer the standard drivers from MS, that are part of Windows.
>>
>> So, install Nvidia drivers without the IDE drivers.
>>
>> Michael
>

> MSFT doesn't write device drivers. The standard drivers would have been
> written by nVidia and added to Windows before it was released.
>
> I agree that the drivers with Windows would be *known* to work, on the
> other hand, the latest nVidia drivers provide additional enhancements
> and resolve problems discovered since the Windows release.
>
> I have the latest nVidia drivers installed on Windows XP Pro and Windows
> XP Pro x64 beta, they work very well on my K8N Neo2 Platinum.
>
> You could consider installing as Michael suggested, check system
> performance, and then try installing the IDE drivers afterward. If
> somehow you did encounter a problem you could always roll-back the
> driver to the previous configuration.
>
> Don

I have the nForce4 ultra board and GeForce 6600. The system (XP) ran
fine when I installed the drivers from MSI. Then I updated them with the
driver sets from nVIDIA site and it crashed with blue screen at random
time!!! At first I thought it's the IDE driver but later I believe it's
the firewall manager! I removed the firewall program last night and it's
not yet crashed.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

leo wrote:
> I have the nForce4 ultra board and GeForce 6600. The system (XP) ran
> fine when I installed the drivers from MSI. Then I updated them with the
> driver sets from nVIDIA site and it crashed with blue screen at random
> time!!! At first I thought it's the IDE driver but later I believe it's
> the firewall manager! I removed the firewall program last night and it's
> not yet crashed.

Interesting ...

There's been an ongoing issue with Windows XP x64 (currently in beta
testing) and the nVidia firewall. Curious that it does the same with the
32 bit version of Windows XP as well.

Don