MSI K8T NEO 2 F Mobo problems with Radeon 9800 Pro

Iceman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Okay I just tried about everything & this is what i’ve done:

1. Boot windows xp original -non sp1/sp2
- every driver and hardware peice works good
- Radeon 9800 pro runs good, no problems here.

2. Upgrade to windows xp sp2 pack
- constant crashing of Radeon 9800 pro
- screen goes black, or blank, or crash
- did not crash with older radeon 64 agp card

3. Updated every possible bios, drivers etc.
- did some voltage tweaking for apg and ddr
- same results, screen still goes blank running an app.
- unplug all hardware except video card, ram, cpu, hard drive & still
crash

System:

AMD 64 3000
MSI k8t neo 2 f
2x512 Samsung ddr400
120gb sata drive
Ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb 256bit
450w psu (26a +3.3v/35a +5v/15a on +12v rail)
changed it to 420w psu @ 18a +12v rail, same results

I haven’t ruled the possibility of a better stronger psu, but it
seemed to run fine until I upgraded to windows xp sp2 with my 2
current psu’s. If i put an older agp radeon 64 card in it runs just
fine? Weird? But I haven’t tried another newer different card cause
I don’t have one. Can it be just that Windows SP2 is the problem
then? Cause it didn’t start crashing until I update it to sp2. If I
downgrade again then everythings works. BTW, I don’t want to
downgrade back again.

One other problem.. no matter what I do I can’t get the bios to run at
400mhz ddr bus speed in dual channel. It only reads 333mhz, and the
HT speed is only 1000? I thought the amd 64’s ht speeds were 2000!

I really starting to dislike the AmiBios, the award bios is so much
easier.

Any help would be appreciated...

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/MSI-Microstar-K8T-NEO-Mobo-problems-Radeon-9800-Pro-ftopict59507.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=301198

Iceman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"iceman" wrote:
> Okay I just tried about everything & this is what i've done:
>
> 1. Boot windows xp original -non sp1/sp2
> - every driver and hardware peice works good
> - Radeon 9800 pro runs good, no problems here.
>
> 2. Upgrade to windows xp sp2 pack
> - constant crashing of Radeon 9800 pro
> - screen goes black, or blank, or crash
> - did not crash with older radeon 64 agp card
>
> 3. Updated every possible bios, drivers etc.
> - did some voltage tweaking for apg and ddr
> - same results, screen still goes blank running an app.
> - unplug all hardware except video card, ram, cpu, hard drive
> & still crash
>
> System:
>
> AMD 64 3000
> MSI k8t neo 2 f
> 2x512 Samsung ddr400
> 120gb sata drive
> Ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb 256bit
> 450w psu (26a +3.3v/35a +5v/15a on +12v rail)
> changed it to 420w psu @ 18a +12v rail, same results
>
> I haven't ruled the possibility of a better stronger psu, but
> it seemed to run fine until I upgraded to windows xp sp2 with
> my 2 current psu's. If i put an older agp radeon 64 card in
> it runs just fine? Weird? But I haven't tried another newer
> different card cause I don't have one. Can it be just that
> Windows SP2 is the problem then? Cause it didn't start
> crashing until I update it to sp2. If I downgrade again then
> everythings works. BTW, I don't want to downgrade back again.
>
> One other problem.. no matter what I do I can't get the bios
> to run at 400mhz ddr bus speed in dual channel. It only reads
> 333mhz, and the HT speed is only 1000? I thought the amd 64's
> ht speeds were 2000!
>
> I really starting to dislike the AmiBios, the award bios is so
> much easier.
>
> Any help would be appreciated...

Okay update on problem:

I have set the agp speed in the bios to 4x, and agp fast write is off.
I also have un hooked some power fans and sorts etc. to free up
power.

It is actually running stable as of this time and looks to be probably
psu problem. Maybe a 25a @ 12v rail would be stable enough? Anyhow I
don’t know for sure though because like I said everything ran stable
under normal oem windows non sp versions.

Iceman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"iceman" wrote:
> Okay update on problem:
>
> I have set the agp speed in the bios to 4x, and agp fast write
> is off. I also have un hooked some power fans and sorts etc.
> to free up power.
>
> It is actually running stable as of this time and looks to be
> probably psu problem. Maybe a 25a @ 12v rail would be stable
> enough? Anyhow I don't know for sure though because like I
> said everything ran stable under normal oem windows non sp
> versions.

Update again:

Nope I don’t think it’s the psu now. It simply has something to do
with windows xp sp2 and the AMIBIOS. Looks like I can’t set the AGP
speed to 8x. If I do it crashes or the screen blinks and goes black.
But if I have it set to 4x there is like absolutely no problems what
so ever. I have yet to test it on another agp 8x card so I don’t know
about that.

This is very disturbing... but i think i just solved my own problem.
One last thing though... I can’t set my memory to ddr400. It only
reads 333mhz at dual channel...

Hi,
What memory slots are you using
Try 1 and 3.