MSI Kicks Off Strange, Glorious #YesWeBuild Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Well, that was... interesting. I get where they are coming from though. For a lot of people even swapping a video card or putting in a hard drive is so daunting that it seems impossible. I have several friends and family that want nothing more than to have a custom machine, yet despite my assurances that it is not that hard, they don't want to make the leap to building their own PC.

Programs that can help newcomers to the PC Master Race are a great thing. Just be sure to throw in some disclaimers about avoiding the message boards and chat rooms. There are some people that are just pure venom about anything that doesn't fit into their narrow idea of "teh bestest game plain' machine like everz".

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
MSI has a good thing going with its dragon character. They should probably stick to that rather than branching out to aliens and giraffes.

I do like their message, and I think it needs to get out more. The days of cracking Athlons, overheating Pentiums, firmware settings that brick motherboards, setting jumpers, and impossible OS installs are in the past. Things are more streamlined than they've ever been.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
I would never build my own system not because I don't think I could build it, but because I don't have enough compatible spare parts lying around to swap things out if something goes wrong. Recently my graphics card starting acting up and I guessed it was either the memory or the graphics card, I had spares of each, so it didn't take long to isolate the problem. Now imagine having (7 or so) new items all of which have to work perfectly (more or less), before you can tell if any of them work. If you have extra parts to swap in to check if things work, no problems, but that is not everybody. Then there is BIOS configuration, Windows installation, drivers, and overclocking. I tend to pick the parts I want in my computer, someone else puts it together and hands it back to me in working order. If I want to upgrade anything, I am able to do that.

P.S. Why is that alien's hand up that girl's skirt in the picture.

This is something every Dad / Mom should do with their kids ... we started when they were 5 and by 10, they were building their own ... but while I found this "tongue in cheek" video editing, I don't think it will stack up to previous ones, at least among adolescent boyss getting into PC building. Despite having done 10-12 builds each, for some reason, I still see my 3 boys watching this video now and then ... my guess to refresh their skillz ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V48KJEP1-sE

UNtil you are having an EVGA 1080 FTW exploding on you and you have to RMA half of your parts to different manufacturers... this is when it is getting interesting...

After events like that, no wonder people don't ever want to deal with this.

P.S. Yeah, my EVGA 1080 FTW died for a second time in less than a year. So much for Nvidia quality and EVGA lifetime warranty. The worst is that it is all true. My GPU is right now in the mail.

I think that was the point of the alien in the video. Even someone who thinks that they might have trouble putting a computer together on their own can still get help from others.

Don't worry, that's not a hand. It is a tentacle. >_>

Product research and selection are an important step. The EVGA SC model has been plagued with issues since the 5xx series. Historically, all it has been is a "reference card" with a decent cooler slapped on. Overheating VRMs are a common problem and they don't seem to want to bother much w/ thermal pads on VRMs / memory. With the 970, in addition to missing thermal pads, 1/3 of the heat sink **missed** the GPU. With the 10xx series, I guess EVGA figured that Boost 3 would nerf any advantages of PCB improvements so they left the thermal pads off again resulting in the replacement program.

As far as support ... yes support is very polity ... but out last EVGA card purchase took 20 calls over 18 months and 5 RMAs before we got a card capable of running at advertised speeds.

Unfortunately, most review site spend little time on tear downs a, part identification and component / cooling analysis and after editing the press release, add in a few benchmark results and call it a "review".

Status
Not open for further replies.