News MSI Kombo Strike Lowers Power Draw, Temps On Ryzen 7 5800X3D

hannibal

Distinguished
Well just reducing temperatures is good update that help the chip last longer!
The cache is locked in many ways so any speed updates are not likely unless they start breaking those locks and that can cause some really bad behavior...

pclaughton

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Reducing temps and power draw while maintaining performance is useful. Doing it with a performance gain as well? Seems odd to label that "gimmicky".

Reducing temps and power draw while maintaining performance is useful. Doing it with a performance gain as well? Seems odd to label that "gimmicky".

It's gimmicky because the efficiency gains are not good enough. A 19W decrease, while great, is pretty much nothing when we're talking about a 112W average power consumption. Good and even average CPU coolers and motherboards today, can handle well over 112W, especially with Intel chips consuming as much as 240W or even more.

The temps are similar, 80-85C is perfectly safe for Ryzen, and is still 5C below the maximum rated spec of 90C. Granted the temperature difference is definitely nice to get more wiggle room since a 5C delta isn't all that great. But, temps like this have been found to be normal on the 5800X3D in general, due to the heat transfer issues generated by the 3D Vcache.

Another is that MSI says this is a CPU performance enhancer specifically, but 2.4%is laughable.

Reactions: KyaraM

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
Hey, if I can get a power reduction without loosing any performance, sign me up. I realize the trend these days is to use as much power as possible to get the highest numbers, most of the time, just average numbers are sufficient and any savings in power and heat are welcome to me.

evdjj3j

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017
Why doesn't Tom's do their own testing instead of stealing the work of someone on Reddit and writing an article about it. So sad to see what this site and Anandtech have become after 25 years.

KyaraM

Admirable
Why doesn't Tom's do their own testing instead of stealing the work of someone on Reddit and writing an article about it. So sad to see what this site and Anandtech have become after 25 years.
The tester was mentioned by name at the start of the article and even the thumbnail states it's "a redditor" who found it out. How is that stealing if everything is clearly labeled as someone else's work?