Msi laptop black screen with no backlight on boot but works with fn+f2 and safe mode.

supermag

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
Ok so i have MSI GX640 (yes ancient) which i recently 2 months ago upgraded to i7 720qm (free from other laptop) and gtx 860m (2gb, for 140$) and added 2gb ram (ram) from i5 430m and amd 6600a. and its been working nicely for past month.

Ok so almost a week ago, on 4th to be exact, i shutdown my laptop which has finished battery with unplugging the power by mistake, but i have done that 50 times maybe.

Now when i start my laptop, it shows pitch black screen with no backlight and i have to hit the fn+f2 (external screen button) quickly in the bios place for screen to light up otherwise it wont if it passes through windows logo area if i dont press fn+f2, and it does boot bios if i press delete buttons, but after showing the windows 10 logo with the moving round thingy, it justs hangs black with backlight until it restarts the laptop to without backlight screen then i have to press fn+f2 again.

the only way to boot it up to windows is to use safe mode or disable graphics card and boot with microsoft standard graphics driver. the moment i start installing nvidia driver it justs crashes and restarts to black screen or if i enable the nvidia adaptor in device manager if i am booted in normal way.

Now the external tv with hdmi works nicely with nvidia driver, if i connect the laptop with tv hdmi before clicking on start button and booting afterwords it just boots nicely to windows with nvidia driver working and playing without any problems at all. when booted to tv the laptop screen is just black with no backlight and its like it doesnt reliase it exists and projecting also doesnt work and it doesnt detect in settings area.

I have reinstalled many versions of nvidia drivers (390, 386, 378, 359) but nothing works and i have reset the windows 10 to blank and i have installed windows 7 on another drive and still not working the moment i use nvidia driver. Infact i have replaced the gpu manually to the old amd 6600a and it still had black screen.

i have done like 100 different type of experiments to fix this but it seems nothing is working. like pressing power button without battery and unplugged. i have spend almost 220$ 2 months ago on this to be decent gaming machine and i know its an old laptop but i wanted to continue til 2019. right now i am using basic microsoft standard vga driver with lower resolution and bad video playback when watching tv series etc and no gaming at all. i have also flashed the latest bios and ef firmware but to no avail.

can someone help me and tell me what is the problem, is it the lcd wire, i can get that for 8$ but changing it will be challenge since i super-glued the hinges.

supermag

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
Is it possible this was done with the meltdown and spectre windows updates that were issued on 3rd January. Since it won't start on 4th. And I unplugged the power in the middle of the update.

I cant even uninstall the updates of that day kb4056892 as when it restarts twice and reaches 97% it says can't complete updates and start undoing thr whole thing.

supermag

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
After much much much more invistigations I found out that the laptop is not detecting the edid on my monitor. Since I reset the windows there is no trace of it in registry either. My screen is Samsung LTN154MT02. Used many edid tools to extract the edid info but they can't even detect the monitor and I even created a custom edid file but can't find a way to flash it.

Anyway there seems to be a way for windows to override it with inf but that is extremely complicated process. Can someone help me out with it please.

TRENDING THREADS