[SOLVED] MSI laptop broken hinge -- weak design

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2019
For those who own an MSI laptop, especially if it has the 17" screen, beware of a weak hinge design. The hinges are adjusted too tight by the manufacturer and the metal hinges are attached to thin plastic on the back cover. You can guess the result. Apparently broken hinges are a common problem and MSI is not addressing the issue. My computer is still under warranty but they won't honor it because the back cover (where the hinges attach to) is considered a "cosmetic" part and therefore not covered. The fact that the hinge attachment point is a functional, not cosmetic, part seems to escape them. A replacement part from China costs about $100 (through eBay) and I have to do the labor. Caveat emptor when it comes to MSI. This is my last purchase from them.

Solution
If you have a broken hinge that should be a repair under warranty. If you have cracked plastic but hinge is connected to the mounting section, that may not be. Another issue is that case damage, even hinges, are often put under "end user break" not a warranty repair, and if it's a common issue, then there is still an uphill fight to get the vendor to admit that and cover the issue under warranty.
If you have a broken hinge that should be a repair under warranty. If you have cracked plastic but hinge is connected to the mounting section, that may not be. Another issue is that case damage, even hinges, are often put under "end user break" not a warranty repair, and if it's a common issue, then there is still an uphill fight to get the vendor to admit that and cover the issue under warranty.

Solution
May 9, 2019
The right hinge is still attached to the plastic portion of the back cover where it's attached. So the hinge mount is what broke. It's inside and there's no visible crack on the outside. It should clearly be a warranty-covered item and the fact that MSI will not consider it as such means they're probably tired of fixing a problem they created with a very weak design. MSI is basically not to be trusted, which is why I say caveat emptor. You're on your own with their computers and buyers shouldn't expect them to help when it's needed.

I think this is a relatively common issue for laptops, not just those from MSI. At least for models with plastic cases. I had a similar thing happen on a Dell recently, and haven't got around to fixing it yet. I think I'll try repairing the broken anchor point on my own, though in my case, replacement covers can be found for around $25, so I might just end up going that route. This unit was no longer under warranty, but it sounds like it wouldn't have been covered by them either.

I agree that it's a design flaw, and arguably shouldn't be something that happens under normal usage, but I think many modern laptops are designed around reducing cost and weight at the expense of durability.

Jul 30, 2019
You can repair the broken hinges with bolts through the cover, that is the best way for repair.
Using epoxy for repair does not work well as it does not appear to stick.

2 vid's i made repairing my MSI GS70
View: https://youtu.be/8IPN10T5JC0
with epoxy
And
View: https://youtu.be/udaHaf9va0M
with bolts

Aug 12, 2019
From Spain: 8 months ago I acquired the msi gs73vr stealth pro laptop valued at approximately 1600 (without operating system) and a month later a more curved monitor valued at around 2000 euros, every time I make a purchase I try to make sure that the brands I buy are Quality and trust marks, and I bet for more than it seemed, I write all this because last week I sent my laptop for repair. One afternoon, I prepared to close the notebook normally when a part of the plastic hinge broke suddenly, making it impossible to close and open the notebook since the screen had left the frame. I am very sad and disgusted by the money I have paid and now I see the materials with which they work in the most important parts of the notebook, and the worst of all is that I was about to acquire a much more expensive one besides future purchases as a msi tower, in the coming weeks I guess I know something portable but of course I had never felt so disappointed with a purchase, I had also enjoyed several laptops with very low quality components and without any problem
in years and years and years of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.