Msi laptop cpu getting above 80°C when playing games

NVIDIA_GTX_980

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
I am having problems with my CPU, the temps are going above 80°c when I play games. is that normal or not ? im getting worried about that my cpu is Intel i7 5700HQ

My laptop specs
Ram: 8 GB DDR3L
CPU: Intel Core i7 5700HQ
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce Gtx 960M (2GB GDDR5)
GPU2: Intel HD 5600

Laptop: Msi GE72 2QC Apache

Solution
Looks like they changed their design a little. I have a MSI GT60 2OD and it has a boost fan button next to the power button. During normal gaming the laptop will get very hot, if you turn on the fans to boost it will help cool it down.

2. Quick Launch Buttons ( these can be found in the top right of the laptop when it s open)
Use the quick launch buttons to activate the specific applications or tools. The
following quick launch buttons will only be functional in the operating system with
the SCM application installed. Find the SCM application in the all-in-one disk
that comes with the package for easy and convenient operation. It is strongly
recommended to install the SCM application.
Cooler Boost
• Use this button to maximize the...
Up by the hinge for the screen there should be a fan mode that you can speed the fan up. also what surface do you have the laptop sitting on when gaming. You should try to be on a flat surface so air can get under it where the fan intake is at.

Looks like they changed their design a little. I have a MSI GT60 2OD and it has a boost fan button next to the power button. During normal gaming the laptop will get very hot, if you turn on the fans to boost it will help cool it down.

2. Quick Launch Buttons ( these can be found in the top right of the laptop when it s open)
Use the quick launch buttons to activate the specific applications or tools. The
following quick launch buttons will only be functional in the operating system with
the SCM application installed. Find the SCM application in the all-in-one disk
that comes with the package for easy and convenient operation. It is strongly
recommended to install the SCM application.
Cooler Boost
• Use this button to maximize the fan speed to cool down
the overall temperature of the notebook.
• Button LED glows when the fan speed is set to maximum
level; LED goes off when AUTO mode is selected

Solution

NVIDIA_GTX_980

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
Yeah, I always turn my fans on and I play on a table. I just wanted to know if it wont damage my cpu. but I don't get fps drops or anything in games.. but a few days ago I was playing a game aswell then my music started stuttering and a few seconds after my screen was blue and it said WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error

If its like mine it very easy to open up the back panel and replace the thermal grease on the cpu and gpu, its one of the first things i did when i got mine. I read a lot of reviews and they said MSI did a very bad job on thermal paste and should be replaced.

ema21del9

Reputable
May 23, 2016

Yup almost every new mid-range gaming laptop has that issue with cheap thermal grease.

TRENDING THREADS