Question MSI laptop fans at 0 RPM after nvidia geforce update

Dec 4, 2020
Hi guys !
So I have this MSI gt72 since 4years now. This week I updated my graphic card's driver through the geforce experience launcher but since then my laptop had frequent shutdown. It went strangely quiet so I checked and obvisouly he was over heating. I cleaned the fans and repasted this summer so it shouldnt be a problem but then I checked in dragon center and the fans are completly still, 0 RPM.

Usually I use this app to manage my fan speed but now it has 0 impact. Even when I press a button that should engage cooler boost it does nothing. I really don't know how such thing can happen. Both CPU and GPU fans are down it is too big to be a coincidence so I suspect a driver/software error but I dont posses the skills to debug this. Can someone help me please ?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Usually 4 years is the time when a laptop's cooling fan fails or ends up showing signs of degradation. You could try and see if the laptop has any BIOS updates. If there are BIOS updates pending, please don't use Dragon Center since it does tend to cause the device to brick(the same happens on their motherboards), which is why you manually update the BIOS, within BIOS sing a pen drive with the BIOS file on it.

Also, see if using DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers and then reinstalling them manually(with the latest version) changes your experience. Which version of Windows 10 are you on at the moment?

Dec 4, 2020
Thanks for your answer Lutfij.
I never updated the BIOS and tbh I'm not sure what are the risks of it but i'll try.

I first tried the DDU then manually installing the drivers, gpu fan is back on track but cpu fan still lost.

I have win 10 v 1607 Os version 14393.4046

Dec 4, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Usually 4 years is the time when a laptop's cooling fan fails or ends up showing signs of degradation. You could try and see if the laptop has any BIOS updates. If there are BIOS updates pending, please don't use Dragon Center since it does tend to cause the device to brick(the same happens on their motherboards), which is why you manually update the BIOS, within BIOS sing a pen drive with the BIOS file on it.

Also, see if using DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers and then reinstalling them manually(with the latest version) changes your experience. Which version of Windows 10 are you on at the moment?

So I checked there was no Bios update pending, still I updated it and it had no effect.

Sometimes one fan starts running randomly, the GPU started or the CPU never had them both. And if I restart the computer I loose both of them.

I also checked power management, the cooling strategy is on active.

I tried to use the SpeedFan software but it does not even detect the fans I dont know if it is a clue...
I wonder, if I wipe the computer and put a new windows version and reinstall every driver, is there a chance to get back my fans or is this irrelevant ?

Dec 4, 2020
After reboot, i have 0 fans running. after a few minutes trying to trigger it with dragon center, only the GPU goes ON, then with a deep standby, the CPU goes on but no GPU. It is incomprehensible. I know it is kind of tricky but I don't possess the knowledge to sort this out... The only thing I almost certain is that its a software error, both ventilator are functionnal.

TRENDING THREADS