Question MSI laptop internal display not detcted

Sep 18, 2019
Hi,

I have been struggling with this for a while with many google searches. The internal display is acting strange, it initially would not turn on, I plugged in an external display and got an output there so I checked device manager and only one display was listed. I assumed that either the panel was dead or the cable was disconnected, I checked the connection and it was fine so ordered a new panel.

I installed it and again no display, I checked device manager again and tried disabling Intel HD graphics 4600, when I enabled it again the laptop display came on and was showing the same as the external display. I then wrote a batch file to automatically disable/enable the Intel HD graphics 4600 display adapter at startup, this worked fine. (I should add that the display showed nothing at bootup and wont show the BIOS, I have to connect an external monitor to do anything before disabling/enabling)

I then updated the laptop to windows 10 from 8.1 assuming that at the very worst I'd have to use my script again, however, I now cannot get the display to do anything, I've tried driver reinstalling, enabling, disabling and BIOS flashing. Nothing. Wont display the BIOS, windows boot screen or anything when the system is up.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be here? I'm thinking its something BIOS related but the BIOS on this laptop is very bare bones and doesn't offer any display options

It's an MSI GS70 2QE-402AU Stealth Pro with an i7-4720HQ and an Nvidia 970M for anyone interested

Sep 20, 2019
I then updated the laptop to windows 10 from 8.1 assuming that at the very worst I'd have to use my script again, however, I now cannot get the display to do anything, I've tried driver reinstalling, enabling, disabling and BIOS flashing. Nothing. Wont display the BIOS, windows boot screen or anything when the system is up.

I have an HP ZBook 15 G2, and it's got an Intel HD Graphics 4600 in it as well. Things were great for a while, then Microsoft pushed an update to Windows 10 and things broke. The display driver is now disabled by Windows. I've tried Windows 10 1809 and 1903, and both worked fine, until the updates were pushed on September 10th (2019). That broke video drivers (and introduced a network bug that caused blue screens [kernel mode heap corruption] when mapped drives couldn't connect to their network locations.)

The video driver I have installed is version 20.19.14.5063, dated 2018-10-29. There's nothing newer that I can find.

Unfortunately that's not a solution for you, but I hope it leads you in the right direction to figuring the issue out.

Sep 18, 2019
Thanks for the response kalibryn, anything is useful when troubleshooting these things.

I managed to solve mine, turns out one of the wires in the internal display cable had snapped in the middle, I took the tape off of the cable and found it. So I soldered it back together and the screen turned right on. I think this cable was some kind of detection cable, that would explain why I had these issues. Hopefully this can help someone in the future.

TRENDING THREADS