Question MSI Laptop motherboad upgrade, seems possible?

Sep 7, 2022
Hello everyone!

I have an MSI GP63 Leopard laptop with motherboard 607-16P51-02S like below:

i7-8750H/8GB/1TB GTX1060

Becasue my GPU is pretty old, i thought maybe it's possible to upgrade it to next gen by using motherboard from MSI GE63 with RTX2060. Both laptops have similar build, new motherboard at first glance looks promising. Connectors are in the same places, size is the same, the arrangement of the components is the same.

Did anyone try that? Maybe anyone can suggest other MSI laptop motherboard which would be compatible with my MSI GP63 Leopard laptop? Any insights would be much appreciated :)
ps. sorry for my not great eng 😑

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did anyone try that?
Very likely it has been done but the forums that had users do crazy things like the above has shut down, sadly. You might want to see if you can overlay the images on Photoshop, have them superimposed, then have the top most image's opacity reduced and then see if the connectors are all in the right place, both front and back, bottom and top. Last thing you want is us saying yes, then you end up with a board that has trouble accommodating the cooling assembly or a screw mount is in the wrong place.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Sep 7, 2022
Hello :)

So, after my investigation both GP63 and GE63 use the same heatsink, and same bottom cover so I assume that cooling sytem and screw mount is in the same place too. So I probably take a risk and try to find new motherboard from seller who accepts returns.