The invoker

Honorable
Jan 14, 2015
So I bought an MSI GT62VR Dominator pro a couple months back and I've been using it for a little bit of gaming here and there; thing is, it's oddly slow in some places. In certain instances, I'll just be playing a moba like league or something that doesn't require a lot of juice like oxygen not included and I get low framerates from time to time. It's got a 1070 in it and an i7 but it stutters in ways it shouldn't. Not only that but in some cases like with chrome, it just won't connect to a website when it's connected to the internet; I send and receive packets just fine. For that issue, it's not the network, I've checked that. And last thing I've noticed, on some programs I've installed (Geforce Experience, Nvidia Control Panel, game launchers) it takes far too long to load, I'm talking about a full minute or two some times. Just curious if anyone has any ideas. It's got an nvme drive and another storage drive.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Have you got latest drivers installed?
Do you have latest BIOS?
Have you run a virus / malware scan?
Do you have lots of background applications running?
Have you run disk clean-ups / defrags/trims?

The invoker

Honorable
Jan 14, 2015
Have you got latest drivers installed?
Do you have latest BIOS?
Have you run a virus / malware scan?
Do you have lots of background applications running?
Have you run disk clean-ups / defrags/trims?
I know I have the latest drivers installed, I hadn't thought about the BIOS though, I'll have to look more into that. As for the rest, no I don't have a lot of background apps open, and I often trim the disks with the basic Optomise Drives option through Windows. Any suggestions on what program to use for scanning? Last I checked, herdprotect was the way to go.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Personally I don't use herdProtect as I find the scanning overkill and at the risk of finding a false positive is quite high. Personally I am a loyal customer of Bitdefender and it has never let me down as has maintained excellent AV Test results for a long time.

If I were to look at advanced malware I would sooner go down the Malwarebytes route myself and for some of my clients I have always yielded more effectiveness from Malwarebytes, but that's my experience.

Just remember that Anti-virus and Anti-Malware tend to do different things, all viruses are malware, but malware are not all viruses.

Equally have you monitored GPU / CPU temperatures under load?

Are you running plugged in?
If on battery you will run slower.

Are your cooling airways clear?
If a laptop heats up as it will while gaming, the cooler may not be able to cope and you will throttle.