MSI laptop with Windows 8.1 giving no disk activity after login

spongebot64

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
Hi,

My laptop, an MSI GE60 2PL, has been my general workhorse at home. During the spring period, this year, I usually took it with me to college to work on some extra 3D modelling which were the only times out of the house. However, I've usually let it power down in sleep mode usually because I've found it quicker to resume this way than powering from being completely off.

Now, since this afternoon, I came home and logged on, was able to watch a couple of YouTube vids before...suddenly...everything seemed to freeze apart from my cursor. I gathered it was probably an antivirus scan (running MalwareBytes btw), but 10 minutes later, even my cursor froze. Pressed the power button, no such luck. All I could notice was the HDD light not showing, so I ended up pushing power until it shut down.

Right now I'm still able to boot and access tools like refresh, reset, command line, startup repair, etc. But logging in or accessing safe mode will make everything freeze/load slowly. And yes, there's no HDD light. At times it will come back on and slight activity will happen, but then it'll be another 5-10 minutes of nothing.

I still haven't tried resetting to its factory state in hope there's still a solution. Even then, if nothing works, it's still under warranty. Plus I still have my old desktop.

Specs:

i7 4710HQ
8GB DDR3 Ram
2GB GTX 850m
1TB HDD partitioned into 2 sectors (C: primary drive; D: extra data drive)

(side note: I'd like to say that this is my first time on this forum. I apologise if I've made any slight mistakes)

Solution
Sounds like you are starting your boot sequence from the SSD but the HDD died and it cannot complete.
I would begin by contacting MSI, they will probably want to ship you an HDD to isntall. Make sure you let them know if you didnt make your restore, factory, or backup disks so they can include that in (or on) the replacement hdd.

popatim

Titan
Sounds like you are starting your boot sequence from the SSD but the HDD died and it cannot complete.
I would begin by contacting MSI, they will probably want to ship you an HDD to isntall. Make sure you let them know if you didnt make your restore, factory, or backup disks so they can include that in (or on) the replacement hdd.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS