MSI Laptops Raid0 questions.....

Andrew Borland

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
I have 2 128gb m.2 ssd's from an old laptop (MSI GS60). I now have a new laptop (MSI GT72) with 4 bays for m.2 ssd's, with only 1 filled (another 128gb).

The original 2 were raid0. Can I put these in the new laptop and recreate the raid0, and access the programs/make it the boot drive (it was previously the boot drive)?

If the above is possible, can I then make a backup/clone of the raid0 then wipe the drives and add the 3rd ssd (3 x m.s ssd raid0) and then install the backup/clone onto it for more space/speed?

Also, new laptop is probably win8.1 and old laptop had already been upgraded to win10.

New laptop arrives tomorrow.

Thanks, and I hope that makes sense.

Solution
Yes. Well there are two things we can do. We can just turn on RAID in your BIOS, toss them in, see if it picks up the RAID 0 or not. IF it doesn't we will have to move one to the second thing.

Again first off are you cloning over the whole OS as well? just remember it may not boot if you do.

Since you have 3 drives you can try this. Do at your own risk though but you should be fine.

Install the new extra one. Install windows on it. Once installed turn off plug in other two drives.

Boot up windows and install this program here.

http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/

Run it. Select the two SSD's that were in a RAID 0 and then hit the Start RAID 0 button at the top (Note I don't know if these will work with M.2 drives FYI). Let it do...
Yup sure can! I would use Macrium Reflect. You can either make an image of the drives in windows (If the OS is installed on these drives) and then image them to a external drive or something. Toss them in the new laptop, make the RAID 0 and image them back. In order to image them back though, when you first install the program, it will as to make a recovery disk. DO SO! You will have to boot off this DVD/CD/USB drive in order to restore your image to a PC with no OS. Now if it is an OS drive it may not be able to boot up since they are different laptops but you can try. Also it is nice because if you reinstall windows, then reinstall macrium you can then mount your image you saved as a drive and then access all your files and copy what you want over.

Yes. Well there are two things we can do. We can just turn on RAID in your BIOS, toss them in, see if it picks up the RAID 0 or not. IF it doesn't we will have to move one to the second thing.

Again first off are you cloning over the whole OS as well? just remember it may not boot if you do.

Since you have 3 drives you can try this. Do at your own risk though but you should be fine.

Install the new extra one. Install windows on it. Once installed turn off plug in other two drives.

Boot up windows and install this program here.

http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/

Run it. Select the two SSD's that were in a RAID 0 and then hit the Start RAID 0 button at the top (Note I don't know if these will work with M.2 drives FYI). Let it do its searching it should hopefully find the RAID 0. You should then be able to save an image of the drive or save the files. You can then image that back onto your new RAID 0 with the 3 drives. Only thing is It has been a long time since i have used this program and I don't have a RAID to test it with exactly. The other option is to buy R-Studio. You can use that program to rebuild the RAID Image it, then make your new raid and image it back. I know that program will work for sure but you have to buy it.

Solution