MSI Launches AMD Richland A10 APU Gaming Notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

twstd1

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I really hope that the desktop versions of the Richland APUs have that kind of improvement over the Trinity architecture. If they do then it will be very exciting for budget gaming! Now if they could just somehow combine a great CPU and a highend GPU (like a 7970) it would turn things completely around for them. I just couldn't imagine the possibilities of a chip that powerful.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

Integrated graphics serves the purpose of reducing power consumption when you are not gaming, by letting the discrete graphics shutdown to save power. if a gaming laptop doesn't have any integrated graphics, that high end GPU will be on all the time, though downclocked and at a low voltage.

So the benefit is power savings. I'm not sure of the benefit of the increased GPU performance of the APU, perhaps the discrete GPU doesn't have to kick in, in so many situations, the APU can handle heavier duty graphics tasks before needing to fire up the big GPU. Also it's in the Richland APU design so there is no choice in the power of the GPU of the APU if you want AMD's fastest mobile CPU and some sort of integrated graphics as well without having a separate 3rd party integrated graphics chip taking up space on the motherboard.

I do wish AMD would make 45W mobile APUs so the clocks go up more.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I am very disappointed in the lack of mismatched memory. What will the other OEMs think if they don't pack this with 5GB mystery memory. I hope that 750GB drive is 5400 RPM.

yhikum

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Quote: Unfortunatelly the AMD CPU cant keep up with the rest of the configuration, effectivly killing the performance of this laptop, meaning the performace to price ratio is actually terrible.

How is it evident for this laptops? Where is performance you're speaking of? And what ratio did you think about?

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

You've obviously never used one of these. The AMD APU are incredibly good at what they do. I have one with an older A10-4600. It's rare that the CPU holds me back. When it does no mobile CPU will do the job adequately, I use a desktop system to get the job done. On the other hand it lasts for hours and plays games surprisingly well, not something I can easily say of Intel systems at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.