MSI Launches GT72 Dominator Pro Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
a Nvidia GeForce GTX 870M with 6 GB of VRAM.

nope it's not april 1st, perhaps this article is a late april fools day joke?
i am mortified or mystified, i have not determined which yet.
17" screens...........

f-14

Distinguished
Are SSDs in RAID really that beneficial? I mean they're smoking fast as it is...
my experience for large CAD projects when switching projects YES!
for a gaming laptop it's over kill, just like the 4GB+ of ram for a 17" screen

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
What the frack? The CPU isn't upgradeable?? The GT60/GT70 used an "MQ" CPU, which is socketed. HQ is soldered! Why why?? Yay, you removed "NOS" and increased AC adapter size form 180W to ~220W, but now it doesn't matter because the computer can't have an extreme CPU anyway.

I guess MSI is joining the Asus G750 club, soldered CPUs, no thanks

G

Holy hell the 007 is 3 grand! You could build 2 good gaming rigs for that, or one monster one! Is it just me or are mobile gaming machines waaay overpriced for the performance you get?

celeritas

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
"measuring less than 2 inches thick" "with its ultra-sleek design"

So that is sleek now?

Uhh, sleekness refers to being smooth and glossy. That words has nothing to do with thickness. And for a portable gaming machine with that hardware and cooling capabilities, less than 2" is pretty damn thin.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Very pricey. No thanks. The cheapest competitor is good enough for my needs as I'm not a "gung-ho gamer" - I'm much more casual. I also believe in a nice large screen for gaming. That money in a Desktop would result in a monster of a machine that would out-perform the best of these laptops. Toms, do a shoot-out between them...look for the value winner

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I've bought 2 MSI gaming laptops in the last few years. I shouldn't have done it as their warranty is horrible. Both developed issues and they make it nearly impossible to receive your warranty service. The price for the hardware is good which was enough for me to roll the dice again on one earlier this year but it quickly developed a cold solder joint at the power connector and they told me bad power connector isn't covered under the warranty. I don't recommend MSI gaming laptops.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
It should be covered. Yeah I've heard of power sockets in the MSI gaming laptops becoming loose I think. And here I am with a ~5.5 year old Asus G50VT with an X9100 CPU that was crunching distributed computing projects nearly 24/7 for years with no failure yet, except a screen backlight going out and some aftermarket AC adapters. But it's becoming old and thus power inefficient for the work done

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
No, you can't upgrade the CPU with the MSI GT72. It uses a soldered CPU, 'HQ'. That loses a lot of points in my book. Having the option of going with a 4940MX is good. The older model used a socket (GT60/GT70) and was also Haswell but Kepler graphics instead of Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.