parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
I'm having a bad experience with this board. Per MSI, the first time you use it, you must have a discrete graphics card installed for it to boot up, even if you are using a CPU that has integrated graphics . There are some retailers who have arranged with MSI to switch off that setting; the vendor I used is not one of them. Apparently it's software related so there is no dip switch to bypass the issue. A very serious gotcha IMO.

Per MSI, the first time you use it, you must have a discrete graphics card installed for it to boot up, even if you are using a CPU that has integrated graphics
provide a link to where MSI is stating this.

There are some retailers who have arranged with MSI to switch off that setting
vendors selling their products or vendors using their products to create pre-built systems?

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
provide a link to where MSI is stating this.

vendors selling their products or vendors using their products to create pre-built systems?
Discussion with MSI Tech Support representative today 10/18/2021. I don't know the answer to your second question. All the rep said was that some retailers request the feature be turned off.

maybe it's some future design of there's but i have never run into complaints about needing a dedicated GPU to boot instead of an iGPU.
out of the hundreds of threads created here alone every week i've never seen members complaining that this has been an issue.

actually just the opposite; with some complaining that their dedicated GPU wasn't detected until they booted with an iGPU and then installed their dedicated card's drivers.

also doesn't make sense that it would be a feature that could be just "turned on or off".
there would be no situation where this would be plausible.
Discussion with MSI Tech Support representative today 10/18/2021.
why were you having this discussion with tech support about the issue?
had you run into a similar problem and they said it was related?

if just some article online, provide the link.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

parsimonius

Commendable
Mar 19, 2021
maybe it's some future design of there's but i have never run into complaints about needing a dedicated GPU to boot instead of an iGPU.
out of the hundreds of threads created here alone every week i've never seen members complaining that this has been an issue.

actually just the opposite; with some complaining that their dedicated GPU wasn't detected until they booted with an iGPU and then installed their dedicated card's drivers.

also doesn't make sense that it would be a feature that could be just "turned on or off".
there would be no situation where this would be plausible.

why were you having this discussion with tech support about the issue?
had you run into a similar problem and they said it was related?

if just some article online, provide the link.
Given that it was a conversation with an MSI Tech Support person, there is no link to which to refer. I asked because using Google I did run across a comment some users posted about this problem. I don't bookmark them, so you'll have to do your own search.

As for as why, I was obviously having problems getting the mobo up and running. It's under warranty and the best place to get info is from the company that made the product. I subsequently had discussions with them to troubleshoot the problem I was having. One question I asked was about the comment I referenced. The first time I talked with MSI Tech Support, that agent was the one who said yes. Conversations with other agents during subsequent phone calls gave other answers on this topic.

Regardless, the issue about the mobo was resolved. And yes, it seems that the BIOS needed to be updated FIRST in order for the mobo to proceed with the boot process on a new build using the Ryzen 7 5700G that I have.

Maybe the BIOS will get updated as MSI and its retailers work through existing inventory. Not the immediate issue here and giving thought to it is a waste of energy. YMMV. I do not remember seeing that warning either at the site where I purchased the mobo nor on the MSI web site, and whether it was there or not is water under the bridge now. I have already bought the product now.

As to the MSI Tech Support agents, they were all polite, sincere, calm and seemed to be trying their utmost to help me solve the problem.