Question msi mag b550m mortar vs asus tuf gaming b550m-plus

Sep 20, 2020
I'm going with a mATX mobo for my RTX 3070 build. As title says, which do you think is better the msi mag b550m mortar, or the asus tuf gaming b550m-plus? I'm on the fence and the reviews I've read/seen seem deadlocked. Appreciate the help.

I'm going with a mATX mobo for my RTX 3070 build. As title says, which do you think is better the msi mag b550m mortar, or the asus tuf gaming b550m-plus? I'm on the fence and the reviews I've read/seen seem deadlocked. Appreciate the help.
If the reviews are from reliable sources it seems to me the decision point comes down to something pretty personal. Maybe styling that appeals? The yellow/orange highlights in the color scheme of the Tuf might make a good basis for a theme build but I don't like that color personally.

The TUF has more USB ports on the rear panel... but I personally really like the integrated rear panel of the Mortar and prefer more ports on the front panel anyway.

All pretty much personal choice.

Reactions: charlie_c137
Sep 20, 2020
If the reviews are from reliable sources it seems to me the decision point comes down to something pretty personal. Maybe styling that appeals? The yellow/orange highlights in the color scheme of the Tuf might make a good basis for a theme build but I don't like that color personally.

The TUF has more USB ports on the rear panel... but I personally really like the integrated rear panel of the Mortar and prefer more ports on the front panel anyway.

All pretty much personal choice.
Yes that seems to be the consensus. I have posted this question on other forums and it seems to come down to personal preference. I'm definitely leaning toward the Mortar.

... I'm definitely leaning toward the Mortar.

I have a B350 Mortar with a 1700 OC'd to 3.9G on it, and a B450 Mortar with a 3700X running PBO. If my expereiences with those boards are any indicator, the B550 Mortar should be a great choice.

I do acknowledge that, while still good enough to handle my 1700's OC, the B350 Mortar board has a pretty weak VRM. But weak VRM's were typical of almost all B350's...and most but the very top X370's too.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020
I have a B350 Mortar with a 1700 OC'd to 3.9G on it, and a B450 Mortar with a 3700X running PBO. If my expereiences with those boards are any indicator, the B550 Mortar should be a great choice.

I do acknowledge that, while still good enough to handle my 1700's OC, the B350 Mortar board has a pretty weak VRM. But weak VRM's were typical of almost all B350's...and most but the very top X370's too.
Thanks for the insight. I'm definitely leaning toward the msi mortar.

Trustdesa

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks for the insight. I'm definitely leaning toward the msi mortar.

What did you get eventually?

I am more leaned toward it due of USB C front panel in case I will change case next year and also the fact that the slot isn't one step down, RTX cards are huge I would end up with the card very close to the bottom of the H400 before the PSU.

It has DDR track on separate layer which is great, not sure about overall overclock performance.

Let me know if you bought it what you think.

Shame AMD has rubbish motherboards options compared with intel, I am used to super cool matx :D

Edit: After reading tons of issues with Bluetooth, WiFi and software using 100% cpu as cherry on top I am getting something from ASUS :D

Edit 2: Some review samples also had issue to push the CPU clock on the MSI side, weird considering the VRM.

Last edited:

niceguyjin

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Edit: After reading tons of issues with Bluetooth, WiFi and software using 100% cpu as cherry on top I am getting something from ASUS :D

Edit 2: Some review samples also had issue to push the CPU clock on the MSI side, weird considering the VRM.

Are you referring to issues with the MSI Bluetooth, WiFi, CPU usage? I am currently looking at the Mortar, among others, and am interested if you have any links? TIA

Trustdesa

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2013
Are you referring to issues with the MSI Bluetooth, WiFi, CPU usage? I am currently looking at the Mortar, among others, and am interested if you have any links? TIA

Will go with the ASUS STRIX B550i, AMD has trash motherboards really...you can tell they were always aiming at cheap build, even ASUS strix is fairly recent and there is no MATX strix as for z490.