Review MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max WIFI Review: Iterative Expectations

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
does anyone x570 chipset fan EVER turn on? i have mine on the silent profile and it almost never turns on. i leave hwinfo running and even with a 3080, my chipset fan never even hits the threshold to turn on. I've heard you could even change the TIM on it and it would bring the temperatures down even lower.

Reactions: JoBalz

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
These are your words in first paragraph: "and makes a compelling option to build your budget/mid-range AMD Ryzen-based system around." - Since when is a $290.00 MB considered "Budget" or "Mid-range", imo $290.00 is still too expensive even for mid-range. "JUST BUY IT" right?

Last edited:

jpe1701

Honorable
These are your words in first paragraph: "and makes a compelling option to build your budget/mid-range AMD Ryzen-based system around." - Since when is a $290.00 MB considered "Budget" or "Mid-range", imo $290.00 is still too expensive even for mid-range. "JUST BUY IT" right?

Toms Hardware isn't the only ones trying to sugar coat the dramatic increase in the cost of motherboards over the last few years.

Apr 1, 2020
I would say this MSI board is great, but it's priced about $30 too high where the main buyers are people who will be going long on Socket AM4 and will be wanting forward looking features like more than 2 M.2 slots.

I would say the Gigabyte X570S Aero G is a better choice. Yes it's $60 which isn't chump change, it's a 20% price increase, but you get 2 more M.2 ports and a host of additional USB ports, including the USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 port lacking on this board, and really the only tradeoff is WiFi 6 vs 6E.

Gigabyte X570S Aero G Review: A Silent, Updated Vision | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
does anyone x570 chipset fan EVER turn on? i have mine on the silent profile and it almost never turns on. i leave hwinfo running and even with a 3080, my chipset fan never even hits the threshold to turn on. I've heard you could even change the TIM on it and it would bring the temperatures down even lower.

I had been wondering if something was wrong with my fan, as it hardly ever turns on either. Nice to know MSI appears to have determined the fan wasn't required and skipped it on the updated board. I've been very satisfied with my MAG X570 Tomahawk WIFI, especially as I got it on sale for at the time.

Apr 1, 2020
$290 - Where is my AMD motherboard discount ?

Is there an article that explains the changes with X570S in general ?

Basically it's just what the 400 series chipset was to the 300 series, only very minor tweaks but essentially the same. AIBs have taken the opportunity to better equip X570S boards with features compared to X570, generally, but as far as the chipset itself goes the only real difference is the lack of fan.