[SOLVED] MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk beeping after RTX 3070 installation

adityabhattacharya

Prominent
Apr 1, 2019
Hi everyone, after much anticipation I received my RTX 3070 (Founder's Edition), which I installed in my PC running an i5-9600K with an MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk motherboard.
Everything works fine, except that when I boot the PC up there's a beep from the motherboard which would normally correspond to an error.
I've copied below what the manual has to say about beeps:

"The power is on, but no signal to monitor
  • Connect the monitor power cord to a electrical outlet securely.
  • Make sure the monitor is turned on.
  • Select different inputs on the monitor.
  • If 3 long beeps are heard, remove all memory modules and try to install only one memory module in the DIMMA2 slot first and then restart the computer.
  • If 1 long 2 short beeps are heard, remove and reinstall the graphics card and then restart the computer.
  • Test with another known working graphics card."

The beep during POST option is disabled by default, so it sounds closest to the GPU-related beeps mentioned above. I've reinstalled the GPU numerous times, as well as rebuilding the whole thing from scratch to ensure nothing else was posing a problem.
My previous GPU was a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580, and I never had this issue with this motherboard and an older ASUS motherboard on a previous build.

I'm just wondering if I can afford to let the beeping slide since everything works as normal, and if not, if anybody had ideas as to what else I could try to remedy the issue?

Thanks a lot!

Solution
I found a fix thanks to this thread:

Turning off CSM in the bios solves the issue - if like me, your OS is on an MBR drive then you can use Windows' MBR2GPT command to convert it without data loss. If you have more than 3 partitions, then you'll have to use a third-party tool. I had an extra partition with only games installed so I just moved those to other drives and then deleted it, allowing MBR2GPT to validate and convert the MBR drive to GPT. No more beeps! :)

adityabhattacharya

Prominent
Apr 1, 2019
I found a fix thanks to this thread:

Turning off CSM in the bios solves the issue - if like me, your OS is on an MBR drive then you can use Windows' MBR2GPT command to convert it without data loss. If you have more than 3 partitions, then you'll have to use a third-party tool. I had an extra partition with only games installed so I just moved those to other drives and then deleted it, allowing MBR2GPT to validate and convert the MBR drive to GPT. No more beeps! :)

Solution