I completed my build yesterday:

CPU: Threadripper 2970WX
Mobo: MSI MEG X399 CREATION
Graphics card: Gainward GTX 1070
RAM: F4-3200C14Q-32GVR
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
SSD: SAMSUNG 860 EVO
Case: COOLER MASTER MASTERBOX 5 PRO RGB

When I start the power, everything lights up, the CPU led on the mobo flashes, and then the DRAM led goes red and stays. I tried also only with one stick (and every slot and different sticks). The RAM is on the QVL. What do you think is causing the problem, do you think I got faulty components? I have no system speaker at the time to analyze beep codes, unfortunately. Is there anything I can do apart from taking everything apart again? What do you think is the problem?

Please HELP!!!

Thanks in advance

Solution
I'm assuming you breadboarded with a CPU cooler on, otherwise you will likely have an issue.

So really, I breadboard by simply removing the MB from the case, keep CPU, Cooler, MB, PSU, 1 stick of RAM. Then try to boot by shorting the power pins manually rather than connecting the front panel, then swapping the RAM module with another one. If absolutely nothing happens at that point, then you know you probably have a hardware problem.

Your PSU is much bigger than you need, but it is also a good quality unit, so I'd be more surprised if this was defective on arrival. You can probably test this by using a multimeter and testing each rail conforms to the rated output +/-5%.

Multiple DEBUG LEDs lighting up from my experience have often...
Jul 31, 2019
Thanks for the reply, I did everything, even reassembled the cpu, couldn't find bent pins. I could solve the DRAM led problem (I didn't push them hard enough into place :/ ) When i was booting:

1) I pressed the power butten on the Mobo. Power went on, fans start moving. The red cpu status led went on.

But after a few seconds, power went completely off. (every light and all fans on the board stopped). After about three seconds, power went on again and the boot process was continuing. This happens every Boot.

The second and third status leds, DRAM and VGA, flashed. The RGB leds of my Enermax Water Cooler went on. Then, suddenly, the CPU led went red again, although the RGB led and fans stayed on. Nothing happend, even after waiting a few minutes. The power button doesn't work (even pressing 30seconds), I need to use the psu switch or clear CMOS.

2) Then I decided to do breadboarding. I took out the Mobo on a wooden plate, disconnected everything apart from the 24pin ATX main cable, and removed everything apart from the CPU. When I switch on power, the red CPU led went on. I connected the two CPU power cables to the PSU and rebooted. The CPU led went out after a few seconds and the DRAM led went on. I rebooted with one RAM stick in DIMM2B (recommended). The DRAM led flashed and the VGA led flashed. I could see that at this point the temperature display switched from 0 to the CPU temperature. And then, the CPU led started again to shine, and the temperature display went back to zero, and nothing else happens, exactly the same as in the case.

What's the problem? Do you think I got faulty components shipped?

Please Help!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm assuming you breadboarded with a CPU cooler on, otherwise you will likely have an issue.

So really, I breadboard by simply removing the MB from the case, keep CPU, Cooler, MB, PSU, 1 stick of RAM. Then try to boot by shorting the power pins manually rather than connecting the front panel, then swapping the RAM module with another one. If absolutely nothing happens at that point, then you know you probably have a hardware problem.

Your PSU is much bigger than you need, but it is also a good quality unit, so I'd be more surprised if this was defective on arrival. You can probably test this by using a multimeter and testing each rail conforms to the rated output +/-5%.

Multiple DEBUG LEDs lighting up from my experience have often been related to the CPU or MB, and unfortunately there is no sure fire way to test each one of these without replacing them. But if the above breadboarding method yields no results, then it is a case of swapping the hardware and testing.

If you have more than 1 RAM stick, and neither work when tried individually in each and every slot, then you can typically remove RAM from the list of culprits, as it's much less likely for both modules to be DOA. If your PSU meets all outputs within tolerance, then it isn't guaranteed, but it is a good indicator that it is fine.

MB and CPU can only really be tested by swapping one or the other and retrying.

Solution