[SOLVED] MSI Mobo - Only 2 of 8 rear USB 3.0 ports work

SmackTheWaffle

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Hello all! Just did a case transplant. As far as I know, I plugged everything back into the motherboard (MSI X99 SLI Plus), including: motherboard main power, 8-pin power, USB 3.0 connector (JUSB1 and JUSB2 produce the same result), USB 2.0, etc.

Any reason why the front panel USB 3.0 (NZXT H510i) works, as well as the rear I/O’s two USB 2.0 ports, and bottom-most two USB 3.0 ports... but not the 6 other USB 3.0 ports above them?

Solution
I'm assuming you did NOT have to do a fresh install of Windows and didn't change any hardware except for the case? I'd check the BIOS settings. With all power removed, it may have reset some options and if those USB ports are on secondary USB controllers like ASmedia, they might be disabled in the BIOS after a reset. Just a thought and worth checking.

If you DID reinstall Windows, and even if you didn't, you MAY need to reinstall the USB drivers from the motherboard product page OR it might be a good idea to simply install the latest chipset drivers from the Intel website.

And actually, it seems you DO have not only secondary, but tertiary USB controllers on the back panel, so checking for those drivers on the motherboard page and...
I'm assuming you did NOT have to do a fresh install of Windows and didn't change any hardware except for the case? I'd check the BIOS settings. With all power removed, it may have reset some options and if those USB ports are on secondary USB controllers like ASmedia, they might be disabled in the BIOS after a reset. Just a thought and worth checking.

If you DID reinstall Windows, and even if you didn't, you MAY need to reinstall the USB drivers from the motherboard product page OR it might be a good idea to simply install the latest chipset drivers from the Intel website.

And actually, it seems you DO have not only secondary, but tertiary USB controllers on the back panel, so checking for those drivers on the motherboard page and installing them is probably a good idea. IDK why they wouldn't work now IF they were working before, but that's where I'd start. Note that only TWO of the rear USB 3.0 ports are native Intel USB ports.

• Intel X99 Express Chipset
- 6 x USB 3.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB 3.0 connectors*)
- 6 x USB 2.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB 2.0 connectors)

• ASMedia ASM1042AE
- 2 x USB 3.0 ports on the back panel

• VIA VL805
- 4 x USB 3.0 ports on the back panel
* Internal JUSB1 connector supports MSI Super Charger

Solution