[SOLVED] MSI Monitor Lags While Playing Anime

May 28, 2021
It probably lags on all media with lots of effects. The stuttering is very noticable on my MAG274QRF, which is a 165 Hz 1440p Rapid IPS Monitor. I cant send a video because it looks fine on video (something to do with the recording software) but it just looks laggy.. like there is alot of blur and nothing is clear. There is also reduced visual fidelity I feel on this monitor, it doesnt even look HD when I watch say a video online. The weird thing here is that... games actually run perfectly on the monitor, no lag. The monitor seems to look 1440p apart from the video issue, including in games.

Now, I tried playing the videos with a ps4 macbook air and pc connected to the monitor, but it lags for all. I also tried lowering the refresh rate of my monitor to 60 or 120 hz, or reducing reso to 1080p, which had no effect. I also switched off adaptive sync to no effect. I reinstalled my GPU drivers also to no avail.

If anyone knows what to do, I'd appreciate it. I do have warranty, but I'm scared they cant fix it, and i wont be able to refund it (i bought this. monitor used a few weeks ago). Furthermore, it would take 2 weeks. Thanks in advance

Solution
Hmm, that is odd. Check the monitor for various settings that might be on is my only suggestion. Motion-blur reductions, color correction, things like that.

Of note is the feature of Night Vision which may be trying to do something with black levels and screwing things up.

I always recommend people run 1440p panels at 144hz, generally the 165hz is an overclocked condition which brings back some ghosting and latency. Though I haven't seen comprehensive tests performed on the more recent 165hz panels.

Also try forcing Game mode on to see if it behaves better when watching videos.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, that is odd. Check the monitor for various settings that might be on is my only suggestion. Motion-blur reductions, color correction, things like that.

Of note is the feature of Night Vision which may be trying to do something with black levels and screwing things up.

I always recommend people run 1440p panels at 144hz, generally the 165hz is an overclocked condition which brings back some ghosting and latency. Though I haven't seen comprehensive tests performed on the more recent 165hz panels.

Solution
May 28, 2021

I think adjusting all settings of the monitor is a good idea. I think currently night vision is off and game mode is on though. I also switched off anti motion blur. Thoughts? What settings should I tweak

May 28, 2021

I tried using game mode and changing refresh rate. Also tinkered with night vision motion blur and so on. No change. Thoughts?